UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer akohan
Observer

question aout bVirtex-4

hello,

i have few questions about  virtex-4 as following and will be thankful for any comment or answers:

1.  i need to take some basic steps toward knowing this board and thinking of writing some simple code to work with its lcd and so on. will my code i used on spartan 3e work on it? only by chaning ucf file?
  2. i don't find enough practical  steps used on virtex-4 and was wondering what would be the best apporach?
  3. my goal is to be able to make virtex-4 communicate with other hardwares i.e another custom board, now do I need to focus on EDK and C coding? or this is a vhdl job. I'm kind of confused here. what should I target here to learn how to have virtex-4 send signal (is possible LVDS) to a custom board.

your help is appreciated grealty,

amit

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: question aout bVirtex-4

HI

will the code from the spartan 3 work in the virtex 4 with only a ucf change ? probably. If it's been coded in HDL, and no specific spartan 3 bots are used that are no tin the virtex 4.

Enough practical steps ? sorry no understand. 

Virtex 4 with other hardware, yep it does that nice. HDL / EDK / C, yep all those are possible.

Suggestion, take small steps.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer akohan
Observer

Hello  Drjohnsmith,

I'm not following what you said since not sure what bots and tins means. so would you please help me with that comment?

also,  from"Practical Steps" I meant if there are any documents that shows some steps that I can follow to see or get some results on Virtex-4? at least get a message on LCE or LEDs ?

You also mentioned that Virtex-4 can nicely does communication with other devices using HDL, EDI/C. Any example that I can see and learn a simple lesson?

Thanks,

amit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

HI

yep should have done spelling check, typos are so bad.

"If it's been coded in HDL, and no specific spartan 3 bots are used that are no tin the virtex 4."

should have been

"If it's been coded in HDL, and no specific spartan 3 bits are used that are not in the virtex 4."

Apologies for that mistake.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer akohan
Observer

Thanks for the response but to be honest still I'm not following what it  means .

that is OK anyway so far nothing I found as something that I can follow up and learn V4 in practice.

It is not like Spartan 3E.

0 Kudos