UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Observer
Accepted Solution

I want to connect DAC

hi 

I use virtex 5 xc5vlx110t with ML523 board.

I coded by using VHDL, and its output data type is std_logic.

I want to connect DAC transmitting analog signal. 

Can I use any DAC? or is it only possible to use a specific DAC?

I have MAX5216 evaluation kit+, I don't know how to connect ML523 and this DAC. 

thank you

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructor

Re: I want to connect DAC

[ Edited ]

According to the data sheet for your eval kit, there are four jumpers that allow you to select either internal or external control of the DAC.  If you wire each of these (JU2, JU3, JU4, and JU5) for external control, you can connect the ML523 to the board using header H3.  Refer to the schematic on page 7.  The header contains the 4 DAC control inputs and four ground pins.

From the ML523 you need just 4 LVCMOS33 output pins to control the DAC.  These correspond to CS bar (chip select active low), DIN (serial data in), SCLK (serial clock), and CLR bar (Clear active low).  The MAX5216 data sheet describes how these signals control the DAC.  You would need to provide the VHDL code to wiggle the signals appropriately.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

MAX5216 Eval Kit Plus.png

All Replies
Highlighted
Instructor

[ Edited ]

According to the data sheet for your eval kit, there are four jumpers that allow you to select either internal or external control of the DAC.  If you wire each of these (JU2, JU3, JU4, and JU5) for external control, you can connect the ML523 to the board using header H3.  Refer to the schematic on page 7.  The header contains the 4 DAC control inputs and four ground pins.

From the ML523 you need just 4 LVCMOS33 output pins to control the DAC.  These correspond to CS bar (chip select active low), DIN (serial data in), SCLK (serial clock), and CLR bar (Clear active low).  The MAX5216 data sheet describes how these signals control the DAC.  You would need to provide the VHDL code to wiggle the signals appropriately.

-- Gabor
MAX5216 Eval Kit Plus.png
Scholar

How is the data output done at the moment? Is it a big parallel bus? A serial stream? A specific serial protocol?

The MAX5216 uses an SPI-compatible interface. To use it, you'll have to create an SPI controller in your block. You may also need to do some level conversion; the MAX5216 may not be able to handle the output voltage from a Virtex 5 (depends what I/O voltages you're using).

For a parallel bus, a different ADC would be better. You can build a very simple parallel ADC with a bunch of resistors; that might be a good start.

Observer

@u4223374 thank you for your reply, my data output is serial bit stream like below.

port (

clk : in std_logic;
rstn : in std_logic;

outdata: out std_logic) ;

If I use this DAC, do I have to use 4 output ports?

and which pin should I use? 

when I use only 1 outport, I used AF19.

(I dont know how to use many pins because I am neither my major nor the lesson.)

thank you

I want to connect DAC

Accepted Solution Solved