UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Virtex 6 - "CLKFBOUT_MULT_F set to a value that is outside the valid range"

Jump to solution

I am attempting to generate a bit file for the ML605 board using XPS 11.5. When I add the DDR3 controller, I get this error:

"MMCM_ADV symbol
"physical_group_DDR3_SDRAM/DDR3_SDRAM/mpmc_core_0/gen_v6_ddr3_phy.mpmc_phy_if
_0/u_phy_read/u_phy_rdclk_gen/base_perf/DDR3_SDRAM/DDR3_SDRAM/mpmc_core_0/gen
_v6_ddr3_phy.mpmc_phy_if_0/u_phy_read/u_phy_rdclk_gen/u_mmcm_clk_base" has
attribute CLKFBOUT_MULT_F set to a value that is outside the valid range of 5
to 64."

According to "http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34564.htm, I should be able to fix this using a manual edit of the 'system.mhs' file. However, in this file, the CLKFBOUT_MULT_F value of the only clock generator in the design begins at 6 and by some tweaking I have increased it to 24 but I still get the error.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Virtex 6 - "CLKFBOUT_MULT_F set to a value that is outside the valid range"

Jump to solution

The workaround I mentioned should be placed in system.mhs according to the answer I linked. But the only CLKFBOUT_MULT_F in there is 6.0, so that was the point where the 'solution' did not work for me. 

I added the line to my 'data/system.ucf' file and it ends up with an error that the constraint can not be found. I found a line in 'synthesis/ddr3_sdram_wrapper_xst.srp' specifying that the multiplier is 2:

Elaborating module <MMCM_ADV(BANDWIDTH="OPTIMIZED",CLKIN1_PERIOD=2.5,CLKIN2_PERIOD=10.0,CLKOUT0_DIVIDE_F=2,CLKOUT1_DIVIDE=10,

CLKOUT2_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT3_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT4_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT5_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT6_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT0_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT1_PHASE=0.0,

CLKOUT2_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT3_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT4_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT5_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT6_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT0_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,

CLKOUT1_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT2_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT3_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT4_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT5_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,

CLKOUT6_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT0_USE_FINE_PS="TRUE",COMPENSATION="INTERNAL",DIVCLK_DIVIDE=1,CLKFBOUT_MULT_F=2,

CLKFBOUT_PHASE=0.0,REF_JITTER1=0.005,REF_JITTER2=0.005)>.

If that is indeed thecore of the problem, did your UCF workaround meant to be changing that value?

Edit:

I've added the following to the 'data/system.ucf' file (also to maintain the 2/1 ratio between multiplier and divider since my first attempt shifted the clock for the DDR3 to 2GHz):

INST "*/u_mmcm_clk_base" CLKFBOUT_MULT_F = 6;
INST "*/u_mmcm_clk_base" DIVCLK_DIVIDE = 3;

The bitstream is now proceeding without errors (it seems) so this might have solved the problem for me.

Does this mean the DDR3 controller from XPS 11.5 has a bug?

Edit: it seems the MMCM itself has the problem and will be fixed in XPS 12.1: http://www.zylinks.com/support/answers/34099.htm

Message Edited by cyberwizzard on 03-20-2010 07:41 AM
Message Edited by cyberwizzard on 03-20-2010 04:27 PM
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

It isn't clear where you in the design flow you tried to implement the work around.  Try adding the following to your top level UCF file.

INST "physical_group_DDR3_SDRAM/DDR3_SDRAM/mpmc_core_0/gen_v6_ddr3_phy.mpmc_phy_if
_0/u_phy_read/u_phy_rdclk_gen/base_perf/DDR3_SDRAM/DDR3_SDRAM/mpmc_core_0/gen
_v6_ddr3_phy.mpmc_phy_if_0/u_phy_read/u_phy_rdclk_gen/u_mmcm_clk_base"  CLKFBOUT_MULT_F = 5;

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

The workaround I mentioned should be placed in system.mhs according to the answer I linked. But the only CLKFBOUT_MULT_F in there is 6.0, so that was the point where the 'solution' did not work for me. 

I added the line to my 'data/system.ucf' file and it ends up with an error that the constraint can not be found. I found a line in 'synthesis/ddr3_sdram_wrapper_xst.srp' specifying that the multiplier is 2:

Elaborating module <MMCM_ADV(BANDWIDTH="OPTIMIZED",CLKIN1_PERIOD=2.5,CLKIN2_PERIOD=10.0,CLKOUT0_DIVIDE_F=2,CLKOUT1_DIVIDE=10,

CLKOUT2_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT3_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT4_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT5_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT6_DIVIDE=10,CLKOUT0_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT1_PHASE=0.0,

CLKOUT2_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT3_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT4_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT5_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT6_PHASE=0.0,CLKOUT0_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,

CLKOUT1_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT2_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT3_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT4_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT5_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,

CLKOUT6_DUTY_CYCLE=0.5,CLKOUT0_USE_FINE_PS="TRUE",COMPENSATION="INTERNAL",DIVCLK_DIVIDE=1,CLKFBOUT_MULT_F=2,

CLKFBOUT_PHASE=0.0,REF_JITTER1=0.005,REF_JITTER2=0.005)>.

If that is indeed thecore of the problem, did your UCF workaround meant to be changing that value?

Edit:

I've added the following to the 'data/system.ucf' file (also to maintain the 2/1 ratio between multiplier and divider since my first attempt shifted the clock for the DDR3 to 2GHz):

INST "*/u_mmcm_clk_base" CLKFBOUT_MULT_F = 6;
INST "*/u_mmcm_clk_base" DIVCLK_DIVIDE = 3;

The bitstream is now proceeding without errors (it seems) so this might have solved the problem for me.

Does this mean the DDR3 controller from XPS 11.5 has a bug?

Edit: it seems the MMCM itself has the problem and will be fixed in XPS 12.1: http://www.zylinks.com/support/answers/34099.htm

Message Edited by cyberwizzard on 03-20-2010 07:41 AM
Message Edited by cyberwizzard on 03-20-2010 04:27 PM
0 Kudos