cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create an SDSoC Project

Jump to solution

Hi,

When I try to create an SDSoC project I get the following error in the log file:

!SESSION 2016-06-28 22:30:32.062 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=2015.4
java.version=1.8.0_45
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_CA
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64
!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2016-06-28 22:30:54.720
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectMainComposite.validatePlatformFile(SDSProjectMainComposite.java:226)
at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectMainComposite.selectValidPlatform(SDSProjectMainComposite.java:122)
at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectMainComposite.<init>(SDSProjectMainComposite.java:74)
at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectWizardPage.createControl(SDSProjectWizardPage.java:33)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.Wizard.createPageControls(Wizard.java:174)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createPageControls(WizardDialog.java:736)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createContents(WizardDialog.java:608)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:432)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1104)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.NewWizardShortcutAction.run(NewWizardShortcutAction.java:122)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:499)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1392)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3742)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3363)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1113)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:997)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:140)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:611)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:567)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:354)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:181)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1426)

I was able to create an SDSoC immediately after a fresh install of SDSoC, I haven't changed any configurations or settings. Would any one have insight on the problem.

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe that I figured out the problem. I am unable to create an SDSoC project if I launch sdsoc one directory above the workspace that I would like to create the SDSoC project. I don't believe this is user-friendly, and I believe this should be a bug. If a mod or a Xilinx employee can confirm the bug on their system, then submit a bug report to Xilinx, it would be great.

Nonetheless, I hope this solution helps others. 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

I believe that I figured out the problem. I am unable to create an SDSoC project if I launch sdsoc one directory above the workspace that I would like to create the SDSoC project. I don't believe this is user-friendly, and I believe this should be a bug. If a mod or a Xilinx employee can confirm the bug on their system, then submit a bug report to Xilinx, it would be great.

Nonetheless, I hope this solution helps others. 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Vince,

I dont have any problem creating a project for the zc702 platform in a workspace one directory down from where I launch sdsoc from the command line. For example:

.../myDir is the directory where the shell is currently cd'ed to

.../myDir/workspace is the directory where I will create a workspace in SDSoC

.../myDir/workspace/test is the directory where my SDSoC project will be created at in the workspace (and the project's name is 'test')

This works fine and I dont get an error.

Can you clarify exactly what you were doing? (ie. which platform were you creating the project for, if its a custom platform what is the path to that, what are the paths for your workspace, project, etc.)

Is this reproduceable? Or did it only happen once?

Which version of SDSoC are you using? What OS, etc...

Sam

0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64-bit, which is a supported OS, and SDSoC 2015.4. I am able to reproduce the behavior using these steps:

1) <source SDSoC> // needed only once

2) % cd ~/ReBirth/Tutorials/Exercise-SDSoC/myplatforms/zc702_axis_io

3) % sdsoc

4) <When workspace window appears, enter ~/ReBirth/Tutorials/Exercise-SDSoC/myplatforms/zc702_axis_io/workspace> /// with or without the directory existing the issue appears

5) <In SDSoC, File>New>SDSoC Project>

I get the following error:

!SESSION 2016-06-29 12:37:49.842 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=2015.4
java.version=1.8.0_45
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_CA
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2016-06-29 12:38:05.062
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectMainComposite.validatePlatformFile(SDSProjectMainComposite.java:226)
	at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectMainComposite.selectValidPlatform(SDSProjectMainComposite.java:122)
	at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectMainComposite.<init>(SDSProjectMainComposite.java:74)
	at com.xilinx.sdsoc.ui.wizard.SDSProjectWizardPage.createControl(SDSProjectWizardPage.java:33)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.Wizard.createPageControls(Wizard.java:174)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createPageControls(WizardDialog.java:736)
	at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.createContents(WizardDialog.java:608)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:432)
	at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1104)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.NewWizardShortcutAction.run(NewWizardShortcutAction.java:122)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:499)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
	at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1392)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3742)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3363)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1113)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:997)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:140)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:611)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:567)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:354)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:181)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1426)

These are the actual directories on my system. I doubt that it is related to any special characters in the path (e.g. -, _, etc..), but I provided them in case.

Please let me know your findings.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the extra info. 

It looks like the directory for your platform (that you want to create a project for) is located at:

~/ReBirth/Tutorials/Exercise-SDSoC/myplatforms/zc702_axis_io

And then you try to create a workspace inside of the platform directory at:

~/ReBirth/Tutorials/Exercise-SDSoC/myplatforms/zc702_axis_io/workspace

Think of the platform directory as a thing (ie. file) and not a directory. You shouldnt create a SDSoC workspace inside of the platform directory. Its like a recursive problem (chicken and an egg), you want to create a project for a platform that now contains a project...

This is not something that is currently supported (as you can tell from the error, although clearly the error message should be more meaningful than a NPE) nor is it something we intend to allow in the future. Traditionally we inted that users use the following for their workspace, applications, and platform directories:

/somewhere/myPlatform

/somewherelse/workspace

/somewherelse/workspace/myProject

It is possible that the workspace and the platform directories are siblings, as well.

Sam

0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

I understand that Xilinx has a recommended directory structure for platforms and workspaces, thank you for sharing it. Also, I appreciate the fact that you noticed that the error message is not very informative. However, I am able to create a workspace directory within the platform directory if I execute sdsoc from another directory. Here are the steps that I am using:

1) <source SDSoC> // needed only once

2) % cd ~/ReBirth/Tutorials/Exercise-SDSoC/myplatforms/

3) % sdsoc //notice I executed sdsoc in another directory

4) <When workspace window appears, enter ~/ReBirth/Tutorials/Exercise-SDSoC/myplatforms/zc702_axis_io/workspace> /// with or without the directory existing the issue appears

5) <In SDSoC, File>New>SDSoC Project>

It seems that when sdsoc is executed from a directory representing a platform, the error is present. Anyways, thank you for your insight.

0 Kudos