cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amiraltaf2211
Visitor
Visitor

DMA

Can anyone tell me from where I can understand the signal channel and multi-channel DMA?

Please refer me the paper or book from which I can get these questions

1) what is the significance of multi-channel DMA?

2) How are the software and hardware handshaking interfaces working with examples (why we need them)?

3) How are the DMA channel's registers and DLR get configured by the CPU?

4) Detail on these; when DMA is the flow controller and when peripheral is the flow controller?

5) how is the peripheral or memory request being entertained by the DLR (DMA Line Router) using hardware handshaking?

6) how is the peripheral or memory request being entertained by using software handshaking?

Kindly refer me something in which I can find the details from where the CPU configures the DMA.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
joancab
Mentor
Mentor

Each IP has a product guide. For example: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_dma/v7_1/pg021_axi_dma.pdf

1) what is the significance of multi-channel DMA?

"provides high-speed data movement between system memory and an AXI4-Stream-based target IP such as AXI Ethernet where packets have to be processed into separate descriptor queues based on TDEST value" - from https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_mcdma/v1_1/pg288-axi-mcdma.pdf

2) How are the software and hardware handshaking interfaces working with examples (why we need them)?

Handshaking is needed for the receiver to know whether the transmitter has valid data or not (Tvalid) and for the transceiver to know whether the receiver can accept data (Tready). 

3) How are the DMA channel's registers and DLR get configured by the CPU?

Typically via the configuration AXILite port

4) Detail on these; when DMA is the flow controller and when peripheral is the flow controller?

DMA is typically kicked by the PS. Peripherals can use interrupts or GPIO to tell the PS to perform some DMA. There are probably other options like holding Tvalid low.

5) how is the peripheral or memory request being entertained by the DLR (DMA Line Router) using hardware handshaking?

No idea what entertaining means here.

6) how is the peripheral or memory request being entertained by using software handshaking?

Same as above

Tags (1)
0 Kudos