cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwitkowski

DSA vs. XSA format - are they compatible

I am a shell developer working on deriving a new shell from the original U200 DSA shell developer's kit for use on a U200. I have opted to update my development environment to 2020.1 from the original 2018.3 and have only minor issues to get things working through the build. The last problem I am dealing with is that the write_hw_platform TCL function does not support DSA file formats (which the rest of the tool flow up to this final stage generates), only the newer XSA file format is supported. Are these formats compatible (at least today) that I can just change the extension of the file to get it to work with this TCL function and having the results generated properly, or are there deeper implications (like getting the U200 loaded with the XSA based shell) that will force me back to 2018.3?  

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
yangc
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Do you mean this shell(generated by 2020.1) will be used in SDAccel? That's not a good chioce.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
mwitkowski

I eventually plan to upgrade my version of the enhanced U200 DSDA shell to 2020.2 and replace the 2020.2 U200 DSA shell with my version on a U200 card. I will take the 2020.2 version of the XRT and will be modifying it to add the additional support for the shell features that I have added in my U200. I am going to be working with the Vitis 2020.2 software for application development. I am basically asking if the XRT deployment and development shell tools have all been uniformly upgraded to use XSA vs. DSA. Based on my research, it looks like they have. I will know in a day or two as my work continues. I changed the write_dsa.tcl file of the shell developers kit to use XSA instead of DSA which worked fine and I am now working to hook these up to the XRT and the shell dev/deploy software stacks. I will update this thread as I make progress.   

0 Kudos