cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Is Vitis on nonstandard, non-soc board a possibility?

I'm an FPGA design engineer with quite a bit of experience and was able to pick up a used VCU 1525 board relatiively cheaply (It seems like bitcoin miners are dumping them on Ebay). 

It seems like you can create Vitiis projects for SOC boards without XRT's, but only newer ALVEO Ultrascale+ boards have XRTs for Vitis. It also seems like the base config necessary to support Vitis at a hardware level shouldn't be that hard to create for a standard VU9P based board like the 1525. 

I realize I'm probably out of luck, but if anyone has any ideas or pointers on how to use the board for Vitis, I'd love to hear it. My goal is to learn Vitis in my spare time since I'm primarily writing low level Verilog code.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

HI @asicguy 

First it really depends exactly what you want to do.

You are saying that your goal is primarily writing low level Verilog code. So why do you even need Vitis?

Vitis is for SW developers. If you only look at low level Verilog code then you should use only Vivado.

Then if you want to use a processor, you can create a platform in Vivado and export it to Vitis to control it.

Same for acceleraton flow (which will use the XRT). You would need to create the platform (ie HW design) in Vivado with the XRT then export the platform to Vitis.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

My primary goal is to learn Vitis :)

I'm a little nebulous on Vitis, but my understanding is that it give you the ability to develop SW/HW co-environments. ie. develop applications that may run on a host, on the FPGA or some combination of the two. My understanding is that this is what is happening when you use one of the Alveo boards. Since the VCU 1525 is very similar to the U200, I was kind of hoping I could use it with Vitis, but it's not a big deal since I could use my ZCU104/102 boards. This one just fits in my PC so my cats can't zap it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @asicguy 

Vitis can do multiple things. This is a merge of 3 previous tools:

• SDAccel: This is now called acceleration flow. This is what you are looking for in your case. You start developing your application on your host machine and you design piece that you want to accelerate in HW
  • SDSoC: This is also called acceleration flow now. But the difference is that instead of running on an host machine, you start from the on-board ARM processor and you select functions you want to accelerate
  • SDK: I still call it the SDK flow. This is simply when you want to run code on your processor (microblaze or ARM)

As mentionned in my previous message, you should be able to use the acceleration flow but you need to create a platform from Vivado first that you will export to Vitis

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos