cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdavis119
Contributor
Contributor

Vitis Emulation-SW Error

I have built a custom platform.  I am using the Vector Addition template as a "hello world" type application.  I am successfully able to compile and run the contents of the built SD card on my ZCU104 when I build it for Hardware settings.

However, if I try to use Emulation-SW or Emulation-HW, I am unable to start any sort of debug session.  I can build without errors, but when I launch the Emulation-SW, QEMU errors out with: 
"Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!"

How can I take advantage of the emulators on my custom platform instead of having to move to the hardware for every single little change ? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nutang

Hi @kdavis119 

Please let me know

1. Host machine - linux or Windows

2. Vitis version - 2019.2 or 2020.1

Best Regards,
Nutan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution
0 Kudos
kdavis119
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a host machine running linux / Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS 

Vitis version is 2019.2

0 Kudos
kdavis119
Contributor
Contributor

I also don't know if it is of note, but the OS for my application is Linux and my petalinux build was configured to have the rootfs in ext4/SD card mode. 

0 Kudos
akasat
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Have you looked at the recently released Vitis 2020.1 platforms. The new Vitis base platforms and boot configuration is built to support EXT4/SDCARD boot. There is also a pre-built linux image and rootfile system available in binary form which can be used. I would recommend going through the latest 2020.1 platform and if possible move to Vivado/Vitis 2020.1. There are several changes in the build and flow to enable this and having a cleaner starting point will make it easier to get started. 

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source/tree/master/Xilinx_Official_Platforms

0 Kudos
kdavis119
Contributor
Contributor

I am unable to move beyond 2019.2 due to some dependencies beyond my control on the version.

0 Kudos