cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vitis doesn't start

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have recently switched from Vivado 2018.2 to Vivado 2019.2 and thus from the Xilinx SDK to Vitis as well. 

I am currently unable to start Vitis properly. Here is what I did:

1. I created a Vivado 2019.2 project, configured my hardware, synthesized and exported it.

2. I started Vitis. That worked great.

3. I deleted this first test project and created a new folder for my actual project (workspace).

4.  I created a Vivado 2019.2 project, configured my hardware, synthesized and exported it.

5. I pressed "Launch Vitis" under Tools in Vivado.

6. Vitis started and promptly crashed with this error log:

!SESSION 2020-02-11 18:14:52.175 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=2019.2
java.version=9.0.4
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2020-02-11 18:50:05.494
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: -2147483643 > 5
	at java.base/java.util.Arrays.copyOfRange(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.Arrays.copyOfRange(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.lambda$6(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:384)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.createUniqueWorkspaceNameMap(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.createRecentWorkspacesComposite(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:322)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.createDialogArea(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:176)
	at com.xilinx.ide.application.ui.ide.ChooseWorkspaceWithRestoreDialog.createDialogArea(ChooseWorkspaceWithRestoreDialog.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.TitleAreaDialog.createContents(TitleAreaDialog.java:158)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:426)
	at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1096)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:783)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.ChooseWorkspaceDialog.prompt(ChooseWorkspaceDialog.java:114)
	at com.xilinx.ide.application.ui.Application.promptForWorkspace(Application.java:270)
	at com.xilinx.ide.application.ui.Application.checkInstanceLocation(Application.java:186)
	at com.xilinx.ide.application.ui.Application.start(Application.java:72)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:656)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:592)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1498)

7. I googled and found this post (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vitis-SDAccel-and-SDSoC/Vitis-won-t-start/td-p/1067654).

8. I started Vitis with (via the tcl console in Vivado)

vitis -workspace temp_workspace/ &

which created the folder "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado\temp_workspace", but Vitis started correctly. (I also deleted IDE.log, .analytics, RemoteSystemsTempFiles/, as suggested)

9. I could access my actual workspace folder by opening Vitis in this temp_workspace folder and then using File > Switch Workspace

10. Consequently, I have tried 

vitis -workspace path/to/my/workspace/ &

but this simply resulted in Vitis opening in "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado\path\to\my\workspace", which is incorrect.

If I open Vitis via "Launch Vitis" it will crash, always with the same error log. In order to access my project the ONLY way I am left with is to open Vitis in a temporary workspace in AppData and then switch to the correct one via "Switch Workspace".
How can this be fixed? I realize that the problem probably occurs because I deleted a workspace, but this should not make Vitis this inaccessible to me. I could do with the possibility of opening Vitis directly in my workspace via the tcl console, but as I have pointed out in #10, my path is never interpreted correctly. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @randomdefaultlenz ,

Try deleting the /home/<username>/.Xilinx/ and then try to launch the vitis

View solution in original post

4 Replies
satguy
Explorer
Explorer

Was there something wrong with 2018.2?

Is your goal to develop something or just faff around with the latest tools?

0 Kudos
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @randomdefaultlenz ,

Try deleting the /home/<username>/.Xilinx/ and then try to launch the vitis

View solution in original post

Thank you so much, that did the trick!

lander85641
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks for this. Had same problem on Windows 10 and deleting .Xilinx in c:\Users\<username>\ solved it.
0 Kudos