cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjaraalm

Vitis standalone debugger for hw_emu

HI,

This should be simple, but I'm struggling. I have a project I'm building outside of the Vitis IDE, but would like to use the standalone debugger. When I compile and run targeting sw_emu everything works, and the debugger attaches to the kernel. When I target hw_emu, compilation works and the correct xclbin is loaded, but the debugger does not attach to the kernel. The kernel isn't shown in the left pane of the debugger, and no kernel sources are opened.

The kernel compilation command I'm using is

v++ -g -t <TARGET> --platform xilinx_u50_gen3x16_xdma_201920_3 --config kernel.cfg -c ./src/accumulate.cpp ./src/accumulate.hpp -o build/test_accumulate_hw_emu.xo

which defines a single kernel "test_accumulate", and I'm launching the debugger with

vitis -debug -flow data_center -target <TARGET> -exe test.exe -kernels test_accumulate

where TARGET is either sw_emu or hw_emu. 

Is this expected to work for hw_emu, or are there other configuration steps necessary? If not, then is there any way to see why the kernel isn't being detected by the debugger?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
randyh
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The standalone debug mode supports hw_emu targets as well as sw_emu targets. Does your application run in the debug environment but you don't have access to the kernel for debug, or the application doesn't run? Are you able to debug an example application in hw_emu mode? When you run debug in the Vitis IDE do you observe a different behavior? 

0 Kudos