cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmaxeniro
Explorer
Explorer

vitis_analyzer can not open the timeline report?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the timeline_trace.csv file already generated, I can open it by text edit--looks every event  are there. However, I can not open it by vitis_analyzer--it simply shows nothing (a grey blank UI) inside Vitis_analyzer GUI -- I think two months ago it worked well here..

I am using Vitis 2019.2.1 IDE.

Can anyone give some suggestions?

I attach the timeline_trace.csv I am using.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ViratAgarwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lmaxeniro ,

In order to save yourself from manually converting the .csv file to a .wdb file, I would suggest you follow the exact steps I mentioned in my first post.

Notice I am running the run_summary with vitis_analyzer and not the timeline_trace.  This is because there could be multiple, unrelated csv files in a directory, so we want to make sure the report is consistent. the run summary identifies which csv files are associated with a particular run, so by opening the run summary we know that the report contents are consistent. Due to this vitis analyzer does not allow users to directly open csv files anymore .

As for the Timeline Trace for hw board run, I too followed the steps in my first post for hw run Timeline Trace only. You just need to ensure that the xrt.ini (with timeline_trace=true) is present wherever you are running the exe and xclbin and the XRT will take care of generating the timeline trace and run summary accordingly.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ViratAgarwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lmaxeniro,

I followed the following steps to generate the timeline trace and analyze using vitis_analyzer (although I tried for 2020.2) -

1. In the xrt.ini set under [Debug] set timeline_trace=true

2. Run the example

3. vitis_analyzer <run_summary>

4. The timeline trace should be observable under the Application timeline section.

Can you please try these steps once.

lmaxeniro
Explorer
Explorer

@ViratAgarwal 

I am exactly on the same page as you. below is the xrt.ini setup (under main folder) --this should be fine.

[Emulation]
debug_mode=batch
[Debug]
profile=true
timeline_trace=true
data_transfer_trace=fine

attach my blank UI as well.

Can you please check my uploaded csv file in previous post, to make sure it is generated correctly? if you can open it then it is my IDE issue then?

2020-11-30_20-05.png
0 Kudos
ViratAgarwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lmaxeniro ,

I downloaded the timeline_trace.csv shared by you and converted the same to a .wdb file using the command "perf_analyze trace -i timeline_trace.csv". After that I ran the same using vitis_analyzer, using the command "vitis_analyzer timeline_trace.wdb".

I am attaching the Application_Trace observed by me for your reference.

ViratAgarwal_0-1606754594822.png

lmaxeniro
Explorer
Explorer

@ViratAgarwal 

Many thanks--I did the same thing and now I can see the chart!!

It looks my problem is the wdb file is not been generated--that should be done by the IDE but it didn't happen, is that right? therefore do you have a suggestion what can I do to further debug that--or something is not config right in IDE? I don't want to do the manually convert each time as like this...

One more question is -- I have the compiled (program and xclbin) file that can be run on HW mode, but I can only run it by command line (for exp, ./host ./*.xclbin) -- I did not have the timeline_trace.csv generated under HW mode, what can I do to generate the timeline_trace.csv file then?

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
ViratAgarwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @lmaxeniro ,

In order to save yourself from manually converting the .csv file to a .wdb file, I would suggest you follow the exact steps I mentioned in my first post.

Notice I am running the run_summary with vitis_analyzer and not the timeline_trace.  This is because there could be multiple, unrelated csv files in a directory, so we want to make sure the report is consistent. the run summary identifies which csv files are associated with a particular run, so by opening the run summary we know that the report contents are consistent. Due to this vitis analyzer does not allow users to directly open csv files anymore .

As for the Timeline Trace for hw board run, I too followed the steps in my first post for hw run Timeline Trace only. You just need to ensure that the xrt.ini (with timeline_trace=true) is present wherever you are running the exe and xclbin and the XRT will take care of generating the timeline trace and run summary accordingly.

View solution in original post

lmaxeniro
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the good suggestion! I think I find the root-cuase, due to some problem of my application, the program execution is not finalized (i.e. IDE didn't get the correct "exit" signals) so the writing to the csv file may not be correct (I guess the file has not been closed correctly) -- if I open the csv file manually and remove some garbage at end of the file, then I can open the file correctly.

This problem does not happen if I execute the program (even have a problem) under command line though, only in IDE..

0 Kudos