UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor firatto
Visitor

Compilation takes 12 hours and not yet complete

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to compile a project ( kernel file is long ), on xilinx_aws-vu9p-f1_dynamic_5_0 platform ,

I've started to compile porcess 12 hours a go and it's still not passed clang stage.

( same stage, same kernel passed in 2secs on 1ddr_4 platform ( which is old 2017.01 sdk )

I added --jobs 76 hoping to to utilize all cores, but as in attachment ( htop screen ), it's using only one core.

Is it possible to use more cores ,what can I do to make compilitaion faster.

It's almost impossible to iterate , or try something with this compile times..

Thanks in advance

ht.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Compilation takes 12 hours and not yet complete

Jump to solution

Hello,

Usually, SW emulation takes minutes. HW emulation takes minutes or hours, depending on the data size.

But HW compilation is much longer. It takes hours up to one day. But if the time exceeds one day, that is abnormal generally.

Regards,
brucey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

Please try to remove pipeline/dataflow/partition related pragma's from kernel and have a try.

And if it's related to kernel compilation with HLS, the log of compilation is aslo helpful to understand your issue.

Regards,
brucey
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Visitor firatto
Visitor

Jump to solution

I had to put aside related project but as far as remember there wasn't any pragma .

My main issue was, can't sure will it compile.

You probably tested way more complex kernels . How much does it take to compile them.

I can wait 50 hours, but if it's not compile , I would disappointed.

I remember that I've checked logs, for first 15 mins. there are things logged , after that - for 11 hours - nothing...

But htop shows %100 activity for process. So something were going on.

Again, mos important thing about my question is, normal compile times, max compile times etc..

So I can stop myself to shut down the instance.

regards,

Firat SARLAR

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

Usually, SW emulation takes minutes. HW emulation takes minutes or hours, depending on the data size.

But HW compilation is much longer. It takes hours up to one day. But if the time exceeds one day, that is abnormal generally.

Regards,
brucey

View solution in original post

Visitor firatto
Visitor

Jump to solution

thank you brucey,

So one day is the limit for hardware compilation.

0 Kudos