UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Device Support in MIG devices in Hardware Manager

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm trying to program an Alpha Data Ku3, but the hardware manager shows 2 MIG devices on the left hand side of the GUI (the same gui where you can boot the device from the configuration memory).

I'm pretty sure that there's only supposed to be one, but I can "reset" the board/fpga to a blank state, even if I reconfigure the device (via mcs flashing) all over again (following the UG). At some point, querying the opencl devices even reports that theres one Xilinx platform (correct) with two devices on it (incorrect.. or should be).

Any ideas? The board also ceases to respond if I Ctrl-C out of any executable which was making use of it, becoming undetectable even by querying the number of opencl devices; it also becomes impossible to re-run the exe, since an opencl context cant be created (execution hangs).

Any help is appreciated.

bandit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Device Support in MIG devices in Hardware Manager

Jump to solution

To answer your question:

2 MIG means there are 2 DDRs in your ku3 board, which is correct. 

if you only have 1 ku3 card attached to your host machine, you should only find single device under Xilinx platform. But in this case, only those information you provided is not enough to debug. 

Any specific problems you've met? I think you need to do 2 things now. 

1. Start to use newest SDAccel tool that support ku3 card. which should be 2017.* definitely not 2016.3

2. Check out UG1023 at xilinx.com and follow the section "Board Installations" to install firmware and execute .xclbin on it. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

What you mean 2 MIG devices? if you use Hardware Manager via JTAG cable, you should see all the chips on the JTAG chain. 

And, can you be more specific on 2 PCIe devices, how you determine there are 2 devices? did you followed certain version of UG of SDAccel to program KU3 board and use it by executing xclbin on it?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

By two MIG devices I mean this:

Screenshot from 2018-08-28 10-09-40.png

The UG's screenshots only ever show 1 device. This was also the case for me before, until this started happening.

As for your second question, I can list the number of platforms and devices on each platform by using standard opencl API calls, as such:

./print-devices 
plat_count = 2
platform 0: vendor 'Xilinx'
  device 0: 'xilinx:adm-pcie-ku3:2ddr-xpr:3.2'
  device 1: 'xilinx:adm-pcie-ku3:2ddr-xpr:3.2'
platform 1: vendor 'Intel(R) Corporation'
  device 0: 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz'
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

To answer your question:

2 MIG means there are 2 DDRs in your ku3 board, which is correct. 

if you only have 1 ku3 card attached to your host machine, you should only find single device under Xilinx platform. But in this case, only those information you provided is not enough to debug. 

Any specific problems you've met? I think you need to do 2 things now. 

1. Start to use newest SDAccel tool that support ku3 card. which should be 2017.* definitely not 2016.3

2. Check out UG1023 at xilinx.com and follow the section "Board Installations" to install firmware and execute .xclbin on it. 

View solution in original post

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've clean installed version 2017.4. However, this happens:

xbinst -f xilinx:adm-pcie-ku3:2ddr:3.3 -d ku3_dsa

****** xbinst v2017.4 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2086221 on Fri Dec 15 20:54:30 MST 2017
    ** Copyright 1986-2017 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

ERROR: [XBINST 60-705] No device was found that matches 'xilinx:adm-pcie-ku3:2ddr:3.3'. The supported devices are:
xilinx_kcu1500_dynamic_5_0
xilinx_vcu1525_dynamic_5_0

ERROR: [XBINST 60-587] Failed to add a device: specified platform xilinx:adm-pcie-ku3:2ddr:3.3 is not found

Also, in UG1023 v2017.4, it seems to be implied that the KU3 is only supported by xbinst in v2017.2, but not in v2017.4. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yes, all supported platform can be found under <SDAccel installation directory>/platforms/

if xbinst errors out with message said ku3 is not support at certain version, means it's not supported. 

0 Kudos