UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor daryan
Visitor

FPGA compilation not working like cpu simulation

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm implementing a matrix multiply with openCL in SDAccel. To make this i'm using 3 kernels, one of them is for reading from global memory, one for writing into global memory and the last one for multiplying by blocks. What i do is read blocks from one kernel and writing the block into a pipe, then the multiply kernel will read from this pipe, multiply and then write the resulting block into another pipe, and the last kernel will read from the pipe and write the block into global memory.

What is happening is that in CPU simulation works well, but in the fgpa it does not multiply correctly. The vivado hls log of the multiply kernel compilation says that the port m_axi_gmem has no fanin or fanout and is left dangling. That is because the kernel doesn't need a port to global memory because only needs the pipe ports.

The curious fact is that if i use only 2 kernels, using the pipe for writing into global memory, doing the reading in the multiply kernel, it works well.

¿Any idea why this is happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor daryan
Visitor

Re: FPGA compilation not working like cpu simulation

Jump to solution

It works! I only updraded SDAccel from version 2016.1 to 2016.2 and now the same code works perfectly on the fpga, thanks for all your support!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Can you provide the function signature of the 3 kernels in the design? Also, have you verified the correctness of the generated design by running the hardware emulation flow?

0 Kudos
Visitor daryan
Visitor

Jump to solution

__attribute__((reqd_work_group_size(1, 1, 1)))

kernel void inputData(const global float16* A, const global float16* B, const uint K)

kernel void mul1(const uint K)

outputData(global float16* C, const uint N)

I didn't execute the hardware emulation because it takes more time than the CPU, and 99% of the time if the CPU emulation gives good results, the fpga will too.

0 Kudos
Visitor daryan
Visitor

Jump to solution
I forgot to put kernel void outputData int the last signature, sorry.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Can you post attach your kernel code? Do you use blocking or non-blocking pipe write/read functions?

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor daryan
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

First of all, I want to apologize, I know i posted this long ago. I supposed xilinx would send me an e-mail when someone replies to my messages, but in this case it didn't send me anything, so I didn't look.

Yes, I use blocking pipe reading and writing, to ensure every kernel reads and writes all values. You can view the kernel attached to this post.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Visitor daryan
Visitor

Jump to solution

It works! I only updraded SDAccel from version 2016.1 to 2016.2 and now the same code works perfectly on the fpga, thanks for all your support!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos