UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor mattdibi
Visitor

Migrating obsolete SDSoC custom platform

Jump to solution

Hi,
I'm a total noob with the SDSoC and Vivado environments and I need some advise about the proper way to proceed.
I need to use this platform but it uses an obsolete format (I have installed SDSoC 2016.3, this platform was developed in 2015.4 environment). 
Should I try to update the platform using Vivado etc following UG1146 or should I install an older version of SDSoC?
Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Migrating obsolete SDSoC custom platform

Jump to solution

The PicoZed and MicroZed vision kits support SDSoC 2016.2 if you are able to access one of those boards.

Both also use the PYTHON 1300 camera.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/software-zone/sdsoc.html#boardskits

If you need to stay with the Zedboard vision kit, here are some options (option 1 is the easiest):

1. If this is a near term project and you would like to focus on application development using the platform largely as is, use the 2015.4 tools with the Zedboard vision kit. This avoids the need to update the platform and migrate it to a later release. If you are

a first time user, this may be the way to go if you need to stay with the Zedboard vision kit.

2. Retarget the PicoZed or MicroZed vision kit platforms to the Zedboard, staying with 2016.2 tools.

3. Update the Zedboard platform from 2015.4 to 2016.3

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The PicoZed and MicroZed vision kits support SDSoC 2016.2 if you are able to access one of those boards.

Both also use the PYTHON 1300 camera.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/software-zone/sdsoc.html#boardskits

If you need to stay with the Zedboard vision kit, here are some options (option 1 is the easiest):

1. If this is a near term project and you would like to focus on application development using the platform largely as is, use the 2015.4 tools with the Zedboard vision kit. This avoids the need to update the platform and migrate it to a later release. If you are

a first time user, this may be the way to go if you need to stay with the Zedboard vision kit.

2. Retarget the PicoZed or MicroZed vision kit platforms to the Zedboard, staying with 2016.2 tools.

3. Update the Zedboard platform from 2015.4 to 2016.3

View solution in original post

Visitor mattdibi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.
It is, in fact, a near term project and I think I'll use the 2015.4 tool. But could you explain what do you mean by retargeting the PicoZed/MicroZed platforms? Or could you tell me where to find documentation about this process?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

An SDSoC platform consists of a Vivado® Design Suite hardware project, a target operating

system, boot files, and optionally, software libraries that can be linked with user applications

that target the platform. An SDSoC platform also includes XML metadata files that describe the

hardware and software interfaces used by the SDSoC compilers to target the platform.

If a platform is targeted for a specific board and device, the Vivado project enables interfaces used by

the board and specifies that device. If you retarget the PicoZed/MicroZed platforms, the Vivado project

would need to target the appropriate device with the required I/O enabled, and you would need to

build/validate/test the hardware (including platform hardware in the programmable logic). Similarly,

the software components may need to be ported and revalidated. The SDSoC UG1146 document

describes the process of platform creation, but assumes knowledge of Vivado and embedded software

development, focusing on SDSoC-specific requirements.

The PicoZed/MicroZed Embedded Vision Kits were updated for 2016.2, hence the recommendation

to use one of those kits if possible, to enables you to focus on developing your application and hardware

functions. Saves time. :-)

The retargeting suggestion requires more effort, but is an option to access the new hardware

and software implementation.

0 Kudos