UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant bokyung86
Participant

What is the difference between CPU Emulation and HW Emulation?

Jump to solution

I am very curious about these two differences.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: What is the difference between CPU Emulation and HW Emulation?

Jump to solution

Hey @bokyung86,

Really depends on the context, but I assume you are referring to SDAccel here ...

For CPU-based emulation, both the host code and the kernel code are compiled to run on an x86 processor. The programmer model of iterative algorithm refinement through fast compile and run loops is preserved with speeds that are the same as a CPU compile and run cycle.

Hardware emulation on the other hand, enables the programmer to check the correctness of the logic generated for the custom compute units. This emulation flow invokes the hardware simulator in the SDAccel environment to test the functionality of the logic that will be executed on the FPGA compute fabric.

Hope this clarifies,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @bokyung86,

Really depends on the context, but I assume you are referring to SDAccel here ...

For CPU-based emulation, both the host code and the kernel code are compiled to run on an x86 processor. The programmer model of iterative algorithm refinement through fast compile and run loops is preserved with speeds that are the same as a CPU compile and run cycle.

Hardware emulation on the other hand, enables the programmer to check the correctness of the logic generated for the custom compute units. This emulation flow invokes the hardware simulator in the SDAccel environment to test the functionality of the logic that will be executed on the FPGA compute fabric.

Hope this clarifies,

Herbert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Participant bokyung86
Participant

Jump to solution

It has helped a lot.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

You're welcome!

All the best,

Herbert

0 Kudos