Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

mapping kernel ports to global memory

Jump to solution

Hi,

Im working on ALVEO U250 card, where im working on Vadd example to understand the vitis flow. The ports of Vadd are getting mapped to DDR[0] interface by default , i want to change the port mapping and utilise all the global memories. 

[connectivity]
sp=krnl_vadd.m_axi_gmem0:DDR[0]
sp=krnl_vadd.m_axi_gmem1:DDR[1]
sp=krnl_vadd.m_axi_gmem2:DDR[2]

I used this connectivity.sp option which is mentioned in UG 1393 document but still it is using only one DDR.

Data transfer between kernel(s) and global memory(s)
krnl_vadd_1:m_axi_gmem0-DDR[0] RD = 16.000 KB WR = 0.000 KB
krnl_vadd_1:m_axi_gmem1-DDR[0] RD = 16.000 KB WR = 0.000 KB
krnl_vadd_1:m_axi_gmem2-DDR[0] RD = 0.000 KB WR = 16.000 KB

In document it is mentioned that

During v++ linking, use the connectivity.sp option in a config file to map the kernel port to the desired memory bank.

There is no config file with .cfg extention. i can only find config-common.ini file. please help me out.

Regards
Prashanth.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: mapping kernel ports to global memory

Jump to solution

You don't touch the auto-generated .ini files. Instead, you can create a file (any extension, .ini, .cfg, .txt...) with the connectivity options and then specify --config <your created configuration file> in v++ linker options.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @mdpuma ,

you can use the host_global_bandwidth example as reference : 

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Accel_Examples/tree/e2ea58df09d123214fb0d814fe605a412d146625/host/host_global_bandwidth

Following is the ini file where two banks are used(DDR[0], DDR[1]) :

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Accel_Examples/blob/e2ea58df09d123214fb0d814fe605a412d146625/host/host_global_bandwidth/krnl_host_global.ini

Need to add the ini file to ldclflags in Makefile: 

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Accel_Examples/blob/e2ea58df09d123214fb0d814fe605a412d146625/host/host_global_bandwidth/Makefile#L75

Regards,
Vishnu
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @bchebrol 

Thanks a lot for your reply . The make file which is there in github kernel_vadd example is not matching with the make file generated by the vitis tool. 

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Accel_Examples/blob/e2ea58df09d123214fb0d814fe605a412d146625/rtl_kernels/rtl_vadd/Makefile 

I have attached the make file generated by the tool and also i attached the screenshot of the .ini file  . There are several .ini files im confused which .ini file i should use.  please kindly look into this issue. ini file.png

Thanks & Regards

Prashanth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @mdpuma ,

you see different ini files for each of the flows(Software Emulation, Hardware Emulation and Hardware). That is the reason you see several .ini files. 

Regards,
Vishnu
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @bchebrol 

As you told , I understood that .ini file will be generated for software emulation, hardware emulation and target hardware .  Would you please let me know in which .ini file I should write  connectivity.sp to map the global memories. 

Thanks and Regards,

Prashanth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You don't touch the auto-generated .ini files. Instead, you can create a file (any extension, .ini, .cfg, .txt...) with the connectivity options and then specify --config <your created configuration file> in v++ linker options.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

@gracesThanks a lot man.It worked..

Regards,

Prashanth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @graces 

please clarify my doubt, I have given config file and build the hardware emulation and run it , then all the three DDRs as i mentioned in config file is being access by krnl_vadd input arguments . Below attachment-1 is the system diagram generated by vitis analyzer. I used the same config file in target hardware and built it. Then in vitis analyzer is showing that only one DDR is being accessed by krnl_vadd inputs. Please check the attachment 2 below. Can you please tell me if any specific reason for that?13.png

fig : attachment-1

12.png

fig : attachment 2

Que(2):

If I want to transfer the data from host to specific address location of  DDRs , I need to access the address locations of DDRs from host code.  In vitis analyzer base addresses of DDRs are given , can i use them in host code to transfer the data to/from DDRs.

Regards,

Prashanth.

0 Kudos