cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jt94096
Adventurer
Adventurer

All ILAs undetected if a single ILA clock is not toggling (Zynq US+ MPSoC using Vitis/Vivado 2020.1 or 2020.2)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using a Zynq US+ MPSoC with a simple test design that has several ILAs to monitor inbound and outbound data. I have discovered that if the clock to any ILA is not toggling then Vivado Hardware Manager does not detect *ANY* of the ILAs even if the others have a valid clock. If I connect a valid clock to the one ILA that was connected to a non-toggling clock then all ILAs are detected. I have seen this behavior in Vitis/Vivado 2020.1 and 2020.2, have not tried it with 2019.x but never had this problem with 2018.3.

Now that I have figured this out it is no longer blocking me but I just wanted to report it. Is there any way I could be doing something else to cause this?

Thanks - Jason

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anunesgu

Hi @jt94096,

Since you've mentioned that the issue has been solved, would you mind sharing what you did? Or did you fix it by providing a valid clock to all the ILAs?

I'd expect only the ILA that doesn't have a valid clock to stop working.

One point to be aware is that the Debug Hub (which is a hub to collect the data from all the debug cores) uses the same clock as one of the ILAs in the design. I you open your synthesized design, you should be able to see which clock is being used for the dbg_hub block. This clock is automatically picked by Vivado, so it could be that the same invalid ILA clock has also been picked to be the dbg_hub clock, in which case all the ILAs would not work.

Thank you,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anunesgu

Hi @jt94096,

Since you've mentioned that the issue has been solved, would you mind sharing what you did? Or did you fix it by providing a valid clock to all the ILAs?

I'd expect only the ILA that doesn't have a valid clock to stop working.

One point to be aware is that the Debug Hub (which is a hub to collect the data from all the debug cores) uses the same clock as one of the ILAs in the design. I you open your synthesized design, you should be able to see which clock is being used for the dbg_hub block. This clock is automatically picked by Vivado, so it could be that the same invalid ILA clock has also been picked to be the dbg_hub clock, in which case all the ILAs would not work.

Thank you,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jt94096
Adventurer
Adventurer

When I went to reply I clicked on 'accepted as solution' by accident, but your response is on-target and likely the correct diagnosis. Yes, I fixed the problem by connecting a different clock to the ILA that was using a non-toggling clock (at which point all ILAs were using an active clock). I will try changing it back and will let you know if Vivado picks that clock for the debug hub.

Jason

jt94096
Adventurer
Adventurer

I changed the design to use an inactive clock for one ILA and the schematic shows that Vivado picked a valid clock. The design has gone through a few stages of changes since I had the problem so this doesn't disprove the accepted solution. Just wanted to provide this feedback. FYI I found this related thread that explains how to specify which clock to use for the debug hub:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/about-xilinx-debug-hub-clock/m-p/886686

0 Kudos