Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Analysing XPower Report

Jump to solution

Hi!

I'm starting working with XPower and something intrigued me. Adding the power for all signals listed in "Signals" view, I get a value very lower than that one presented as total. The same for "Logic". Are there any signals that aren't listed? If so, why?

To give some context, I need to get the power for just one component so I'm trying to obtain a list of outside signals and subtract them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Yes, you are right.

The user simulation activities are applied to the matching nets/nodes in the design. The rest of the net/nodes will get the ptopagated activity rates.

So you always get the power analysis for the entire design.

However if you just want to report/view the power numbers on specific scope, that you can get through 'By Hierarchy' reporting.

Thanks,

Karthik

Regards,
Karthik
Power Analysis & Optimization

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Which XPOWER tool are you using? Is it XPE or XPA?

You can find power tools related user guide  in the below  link. That includes XPE user guide. Please refer them.  

http://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power/index.htm

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

XPA.

In fact, the problem only appears when I restrict Modelsim signals (vcd add leon3mp/u0/u0/*).

I thought the values in summary view indicated the amount of power for the specific component but it's possible the tool only gives the detailed list for those signals present in VCD but uses the default values for the others so the total power refers to the complete circuit. Is that right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Yes, you are right.

The user simulation activities are applied to the matching nets/nodes in the design. The rest of the net/nodes will get the ptopagated activity rates.

So you always get the power analysis for the entire design.

However if you just want to report/view the power numbers on specific scope, that you can get through 'By Hierarchy' reporting.

Thanks,

Karthik

Regards,
Karthik
Power Analysis & Optimization

View solution in original post