Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gudurvenkatesh
Observer
Observer

Calculate power of ZCU102 board

Hello all,

I have a ZCU102 kit from Xilinx. I have designed a system which has a custom ip. I would like to calculate the accurate power consumption of the board.

I have gone through Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE), power estimator in Vivado, Maxim Powertool, Xilinx Power Advantage Tool.

I would like to know the exact total power consumption which is the summation of the power consumed by the FPGA device, off-chip devices like DDR, SDCard, etc.

1. Which one will be the best method to calculate the power consumption accurately? 

2. If I am using power estimator in Vivado, I will get power consumption say X watts. If my C program in SDK run for Y seconds, can I calculate the energy consumption directly as the product of X and Y (X*Y) joules? If not any other method to calculate the energy consumption for a given time of Y seconds?

3. Is it necessary to have an OS running on Zynq to use Xilinx Power Advantage tool or can I use this tool on baremetal system as well?

There is a post which gives information on power consumption using physical methods (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/power-consumption-at-the-physical-level/m-p/830112/highlight/true#M37879). But I would like to use digital methods like XPE or power estimator in Vivado or Maxim Powertool.

Thank you all in advance!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
immwn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I am also using ZCU102 and searching for the answers of these questions.

@gudurvenkatesh, since it has been few months from now, I hope you figured out some way to measure the power. Could you please suggest what is the best way of measure power of PS-only and PS+PL implementation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
gudurvenkatesh
Observer
Observer

Hello,

I have come across a few following useful links. Please have a look at them. I have ordered a free Maxim dongle and using it I was able to measure the power.
https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66811.html
https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/62629.html

I also got one another solution using ammeter and voltmeter connected to the board. The indirect calculation of power includes some on-board peripherals. Though this is not an accurate solution, we can have an idea of power consumption.

In the implementation folder located in runs folder (project_directory/.runs/impl_1), in the reports files (.rpt) you can get the power of individual blocks including the blocks present in PL logic.

Pleas post here in the thread if you come across other methods.

Regards

0 Kudos
kvasantr

Hello @gudurvenkatesh and @immwn

Yes, using Xilinx Power estimator and VIVADO power analyzer are one of the most common practices in power estimation which also gives details about the resource utilization.

But maxim power dongle is more robust solution which can give real time details of power consumption and helps to monitor the power rails as well health of PMBUS.

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
immwn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @gudurvenkatesh and @kvasantr

Thanks for your replies. I am waiting for the Maxim dongle to arrive.

In the meantime, I will try XPE. Have you tried Xilinx Power Advantage Tool? Sharing any experience of this tool will probably make the thread complete.

Thanks

0 Kudos
kvasantr

Hello @immwn,

We have several customers who have successfully used XPE in there design cycle and it has matured enough with it's several versions till this date.

Please go through UG440 fore understanding how XPE works on the different logic toggle conditions and what factors are taken care for accuracy.

The accuracy of XPE is dependent on two primary sets of inputs:

• Device utilization, component configuration, clock, enable, and toggle rates, and other information you enter into the tool

• Device data models integrated into the tool

This tool is used in pre-design and pre-implementation of the project. So for real time analysis Power dongle is better option.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

immwn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @kvasantr

Thanks for your reply. I actually wanted to know about Xilinx Power Advantage Tool

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841681/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Power+Advantage+Tool+part+1+-+Introduction+to+the+Power+Advantage+Tool

Can I use Power Advantage Tool without booting Linux from SD card? I am afraid booting Linux will take resource from PS part. I am interested in the power measurements of the application executing on only-PS and PS+PL configurations.

Cheers

0 Kudos
kvasantr

Hello @immwn

Apologies for talking about wrong tool in last post.

Yes for PS+PL combinations using Xilinx Power Advantage tool is the best option.

The wiki page you are referring is self explanatory and helps you in configuring the tool as per need and application.

So for Zynq Ultrascale+ applications and for real time on board power monitoring you can use this tool.

Thank you

0 Kudos
immwn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @kvasantr

Do I need to boot Ubuntu from SD card to use Xilinx Power Advantage tool?

Cheers

0 Kudos
kvasantr

Hello @immwn,

Yes, you should be for faster programming of device. Do you have any limitation on that ?

I will recommend to use SD card.

Thank you.

immwn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @kvasantr

My understanding is, if I use the Power Advantage Tool from Ubuntu, it will provide power measurement including OS consumption, as the OS will execute on the PS part. If I want the power of an embedded application (PS+PL) only, how can I separate it from the total power?

Cheers 

0 Kudos
kvasantr

Hello @immwn,

Not sure if you have already gone through the setup steps already but when you will run the power tool

we have already given different sections which indicates power consumption of different sections when different types of application or resources are being used.

7.JPG

Please go through below link for setup steps:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842112/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+1+-+Running+the+Pre-Built+Ubuntu+Image+and+Power+Advantage+Tool

after running the steps; as shown in above GUI you will see the different sections of Zynq as well as PL's power consumption.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

immwn
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @gudurvenkatesh and @kvasantr

First, thanks a lot for all your replies.

I have managed a Maxim PowerTool dongle for power measurement of ZCU102 board. I am very new in this process. Can you please help me answering the following questions?

• Is there any step-by-step instruction to measure power consumption in ZCU102 board using Maxim dongle and software? The following link provides instruction to reprogram power bus. I am not sure if it is required to reprogram power controller for power measurement. I just want to measure/monitor power consumption (in watt) in the PS and PL.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66811.html

• If I have to re-program power controller to measure power consumption following the above link, does the following statement mean that I cannot measure power more than 4 times?

"Understand that the PMBus devices can ONLY be programmed 4 times"

• Is there any jumper or switch settings in ZCU102 board for measuring power consumption using Maxim?
  • I tried JTAG boot mode to run an application from SDSoC while connecting the Maxim PowerTool dongle to the board (with no jumper and switch settings). I wanted to measure power consumption caused by the application. I got the following error in SDSoC. The application runs fine if I disconnect the dongle.
Error while launching program: 
Could not find ARM device on the board for connection 'Local'.
Check if the target is in:
1. Split JTAG - No operations are possible with ARM DAP.
2. Non JTAG bootmode - Bootrom may need time to enable DAP.
Please try again.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers

0 Kudos
mtraj
Observer
Observer

This thread seems to be inactive for a while but I actually want to ask the same questions of @immwn

I just acquired the dongle and started the GUI Tool, I was able to read the 0x0A which I assume is the PS rail and the 0x18 which should be the PL rail.

But the value of the current on 0x18 seems high. Is there a calibration process that must be done?

Should I re-program the power controller before use? (I am afraid to do it since it seems limited to 4 times)

0 Kudos