cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Can I kill a background task?

Vivado is commonly freezing on my machine.  Is there a way to kill a background task, possibly through the Tcl Console?

The steps to reproduce, probably unique to my machine for some reason:

1. Add system ILA to block design

2. Double click to open configuration

3. Select 'native' and choose a number of ports

4. Apply/close/ok or whatever the button is to accept changes and close the config gui

5. Vivado is now frozen. 

If I choose File -> Exit I get a popup notification about a background task running, it gives two options: "wait" or "abort and exit program". 

I can't save, it's deactivated. 

Can I abort without exiting program?  Can I save from TCL Console so I don't lose work?

I've noticed that if I wait a minute or so before closing the system_ila configuration GUI it works.  But I'm about to lose about an hour of work because I didn't hit save (User error, i know) and accepted changes to the ILA quickly.  I have a suspicion that the problem may be related to running Vivado off of an external hard drive, so maybe accessing some file is slow or something.

This problem seems to be unique to the sysstem_ila, I don't have a problem with Zynq processing system, smartconnects, spi etc.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @poelslager,

Unfortunately you cannot kill a background task in Vivado without closing the whole program.

You can save the project from the TCL console by issuing the command save_bd_design. it might not save whatever is running in the background but it should save everything else.

Finally, I'd definitely recommend that you try and install Vivado on the Local Drive so it can run and read/write files at its maximum speed.

Thank you,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@poelslager ,

I have noticed the exact same behavior when using the System ILA.  If you change the number of probes or ports and then click the Apply button before the GUI updates, then Vivado will hang forever.  You can trigger the GUI to update by clicking on another field or drop down box in the GUI.  The problem is you have to remember to do it or you get to start over.

Ted Booth | Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer | DesignLinx Solutions
https://www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tedbooth,

Thank you for reporting it. In what Vivado version did you see the issue?

Once I know the version, I'll go ahead and test it here to see if I can reproduce the issue and open a fix request for the developers.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@anunesgu ,

I just verified that I can reproduce the issue using Vivado 2019.2.1 on Windows10 and Cent OS 7.

Here are the steps I used:

1) Create a new project in Vivavdo.

2) Create a new Block Design in IPI

3) Add a System ILA to the canvas

4) Open the System ILA Re-customization GUI and set the number of interface slots to "3".

5) Without clicking anywhere else on the GUI, select the "OK" button.

A dialog box will appear saying that a Background Task is running.  Select the "OK" button to dismiss the warning box.  Vivado is now hung.  All you can do is exit Vivado.

I have attached the log and journal files generated during this session.

Ted Booth | Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer | DesignLinx Solutions
https://www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos