UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor tbruch
Visitor

Can't connect to Platform Cable USB using iMPACT

I've got the old-school Xilinx Platform Cable USB, model DLC9.  I'm trying to use iMPACT standalone lab tools to program my custom board via JTAG.  The board has already been successfully programmed by a colleague at another site.  I need to update the board with new bits.  I'm a new user of the Xilinx software.

My machine is a 64-bit PC running Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1.  Here are the steps I followed:

1. Downloaded Xilinx_LabTools_14.7_1015_1.tar

2. Extracted the above and ran xsetup.exe.  No other Xilinx tools were previously installed on this machine.

3. I followed all the default options during the install.  The option to install cable drivers was checked.  When the security warning boxes popped up for Jungo and later for Xilinx, I clicked the "Always trust" boxes and then "Install".

4. After the installation completed successfully, ran Xilinx Design Tools > Lab Tools 14.7 > iMPACT 64 bit (Also tried iMPACT 32 bit...same result).

5. The app asked me "Do you want the system to automatically create and save a project file for you?"  I said Yes.

6. A "Welcome to iMPACT" dialog box comes up with "Configure devices using Boundary-Scan (JTAG)" selected along with "Automatically connect to a cable and identify Boundary-Scan chain".  I left these default settings and clicked OK.

7. It tries to autodetect a cable, but fails with "WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup!".

8. I connected my DLC9 Platform Cable USB dongle to the JTAG and 3.3V power pins on my board and to a USB host port on my PC for the first time.  The plug-and-play process seemed to work, although it took awhile and seemed to go through 3 stages.  But it seemed to find drivers and Windows said the device was ready to use.  The status light changed from amber to green.  I opened Device Manager and I saw  a "Programming cables > Xilinx USB Cable" listed.  In the Properties window for that device, the General tab says that "This device is working properly", the Driver tab says that the Xilinx driver is version 2.0.0.3 dated 10/26/2007.  The driver file details says the location is C:\windows\system32\drivers\windrvr6.sys, the provider is Jungo, the file version is 10.21 built by WinDDK.

9. Back in ISE iMPACT, I tried Output > Cable Setup.  Again it tried to autodetect a cable and failed.  It then opened a "Cable Communication Setup" dialog and an "Error Message" dialog with "ERROR:iMPACT - This function requires that a target is opened first.  I selected  "Platform Cable USB/II" with Cable Location set to "Local".  That produced a Warning dialog "WARNING:iMPACT - The cable selected is not available, please select a different one."

Could this be some kind of 32 bit/64 bit compatibility issue?  I tried running iMPACT 32 bit, but got the same result.  But the driver is in system32.  I'm not a Windows expert by any means.

In the Xilinx iMPACT Help under Procedures > Working with Cables > Connecting to Cables, it recommends to verify that the drivers were installed by opening the fileset.txt file in the installation directory to look for "summary=Parallel Cable Drivers".  That line is not in my fileset.txt file.

10. I tried the usual rebooting, plugging/unplugging USB cable, reinstalling software (including on a different machine).  Nothing seems to work.

Would appreciate any advice since I'm on a tight schedule to get these boards updated with new bits and delivered.

Tom

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Can't connect to Platform Cable USB using iMPACT

Hi Tom,

When you connect the programming cable to your system do you see amber light on the pod?

You can try to install impact in another system and check if the issue is related to system or cable.

--Krishna

0 Kudos
Visitor tbruch
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for responding.  Yes, the status light on the dongle is amber until I connect it to the JTAG header power (Vref).  Then it is green.

I tried both re-installing the iMPACT software on my laptop and installing it on a tower computer in my lab (both 64-bit machines running Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1).  I also tried running both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of iMPACT.  Same result in all cases.

As I mentioned, the iMPACT Help for debugging cable connections said to check the fileset.txt file to see if there was a summary statement for the cable drivers.  There wasn't.  The help said to install the drivers by reinstalling the software or by installing the WebPACK Programmer.  Reinstalling the software didn't work.  I'm not sure what the WebPACK Programmer is.

Tom

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Which device are you trying to connect to. I checked the datasheet and the supported FPGA's given are only Virtex, Spartan - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds300.pdf

that too only these devices

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/HW-USB-G.htm

I guess you should try with digilent cable or platform USB-II to see if it works.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor tbruch
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am trying to program a Spartan part, but that shouldn't be relevant to this problem, since I'm not getting far enough with the cable connection problem for the tool to require any part-specific info.

I borrowed a Platform Cable USB II, model DLC10 from a colleague at another site, and it worked fine for me.  So, although the iMPACT help documentation ("Supported Cables") indicates that it supports both the Platform Cable USB and the Platform Cable USB II, I am skeptical that the old cable is really supported.  I would certainly be interested to hear if anyone else has successfully used the old DLC9 cable with the latest iMPACT tool version in Windows 7.

I think the advice in the iMPACT help ("Connecting to Cables") also may have some misinformation.  It says that there should be a line in the fileset.txt file that includes "summary=Parallel Cable Drivers", and that if this line is missing, the drivers were not installed.  I checked with my colleague at another site who was successfully using the DLC10 cable and he said that line was not present in his fileset.txt file.  Also, when I was unsuccessfully trying to use the DLC9, Windows Device Manager indicated that it was successfullly identified and was using the Xilinx driver.  Also, the status light on the DLC9 was green.  So, I don't think that my DLC9 is defective.  I suspect it is just a bug in the latest iMPACT software.

Borrowing a DLC10 from another site solved my immediate urgent need.  I have ordered a DLC10 cable.  Unless someone from Xilinx responds to this thread saying that problems with support of the old DLC9 cable have been resolved, I would advise others who encounter this problem to do the same.

0 Kudos