UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant govemb
Participant

ChipScope Sequencer Trigger Problem

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am trying to catch an exact line of video data in ChipScope. In order to make it, edges of vsync and de signals are selected as events (M0 and M1 respectively). Also counter of de event is set as line number and sequencer is selected as M0 -> M1. However, ChipScope catches different lines for example if counter is set as 4, it catches 2nd, 1st, 3rd lines but never greater than 4th one.

Am i using squencer trigger wrong, or anyone knows to do this could help me?

Regards,

Burak

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant govemb
Participant

Re: ChipScope Sequencer Trigger Problem

Jump to solution

I always used "data same as trigger option", forgot to use triggers as separate signals.

This solves my problem. Thanks

However, dependent events can be an option in ChipScope.

Burak

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

It's not clear that the trigger count really does what you want.  Setting the count to 4 says that

the trigger will occur after 4 matches, and presumably every four matches after that.  It is

not clear from the ChipScope document how or if the count gets reset.  It certainly gets reset

when the ILA is armed, however it may not get reset when the multi-level trigger sequence

is armed, i.e. when M0 occurs in your sequence.  Perhaps someone from Xilinx could confirm this,

but the behavior you describe seems to point to the trigger count not being reset on the sequencer

arm condition.

You can always work around this by adding a line counter to your design and using the line number

from that counter to trigger the ILA.  That's one of the nice things about working with FPGA's.  When

you need another function you can always build it.  I've used logic to help build complex triggers

when I couldn't find an easy way to do it in ChipScope.  Just make sure that you add KEEP attributes

to the new logic signals so they can be connected to the ILA if they're not otherwise used by the design.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Participant govemb
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you Gabor,

Setting a line counter is an option but counter consumes lots of BRAMs, design uses so many BRAM already.

As you said, i think counter reset is not dependent on previous event. Such  an option would be nice and very helpful.

I added a flag that indicates the desired line border to the ChipScope for now.

Regards,

Burak

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The ChipScope inserter defaults to having the trigger word and data word connect to the same set

of signals.  However you can have signals that only go to the trigger, or only to the data.  In your

case adding the counter to the trigger word, but not to the data word, would not consume any

additional BRAM in the ILA.  BRAM is only used for collecting data, not for the trigger.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Participant govemb
Participant

Jump to solution

I always used "data same as trigger option", forgot to use triggers as separate signals.

This solves my problem. Thanks

However, dependent events can be an option in ChipScope.

Burak

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I am accepting this is an solution to your query. In future, if you think you have solved your issue and have posted the same, you can set it as a solution for others to refer. Thanks.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos