UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie manthan

Chipscope

Jump to solution

I have a Spartan 3a board that I program using a 3rd party jtag device. I want to use the chipscope tool for debugging, but it is not recognizing my jtag device.

Is there any method to configure lSE, to use this toolchain?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Chipscope

Jump to solution

Hi @manthan,

The ISE software is only capable of communicating with certain cables for which it was a driver. So I suspect that it's just not able to recognize and communicate with your custom device.

According to the document ISE In-Depth Tutorial - UG695, Chapter 8, only the cables Parallel Cable IV, Parallel Cable USB, and Parallel Cable USB-II are supported.

So you can use a different cable and different software to program the device, but if you need to use the debug tools, unfortunately you'd need to use one of those cables.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @manthan,

Just so I more clearly understand the issue, what is this 3rd party jtag device? Is it a cable or a mux that allow you to connect one or multiple boards to the PC?

You've mentioned that you were able to program the Spartan 3a. Are you able to verify if the rest of the logic is working correctly (other than the chipscope core)? Maybe measure some outputs with a scope or have an LED blinking?

Are you still using ISE to program and connect to the board, correct? Do you see any error or warning about the chipscope core after it's done?

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

0 Kudos
Newbie manthan

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have been using an FT2232H based device that allows me to bridge usb 2.0 with jtag protocols. There is a separate application with which I access this and program the device.I provide the bit stream file as a parameter to this software. So I believe that use is technically not connected when it comes to programming the board.

Also,as far as programming is concerned, it works all right.I have tried out some complex designs including a VGA controller, it works all right.I haven't yet tried out implementing any ILA core though, as I wanted to first clear out this software-device connection issue. With the device connected, I opened the chipscope pro software but didn't find any jtag toolchain listed so is it that I cannot connect ise with this programmer?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @manthan,

The ISE software is only capable of communicating with certain cables for which it was a driver. So I suspect that it's just not able to recognize and communicate with your custom device.

According to the document ISE In-Depth Tutorial - UG695, Chapter 8, only the cables Parallel Cable IV, Parallel Cable USB, and Parallel Cable USB-II are supported.

So you can use a different cable and different software to program the device, but if you need to use the debug tools, unfortunately you'd need to use one of those cables.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

0 Kudos