UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Configure Xilinx tools to use more PC resources (faster implementation)

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

any idea on how to configure Xilinx tools (PlanAhead & XPS) to use more of my PC's resources? I've got an i5 @ 3.30 GHz and 8 Gb Ram, and it takes me about 7 min. for a simple embedded design for Zynq to be exported to SDK and actually operational. Currently the tools use about 25% of the CPU and memory - I wouldn't mind if they multiplied by 4... :-)

Thanks in advance and best regards,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Configure Xilinx tools to use more PC resources (faster implementation)

Jump to solution

Hi David,

If you wanted to use multiple cores in planAhead /ISE during the implementation runs , you have enable or use -mt switch in MAP and PAR. Which will enable to use 2 core for the runs using multi-threading.

Thanks,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

There is a web page about the memory recommendation

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/products/memory.htm

But there is no information about Zynq.
You can use the Kintex7 table. Because they are the similar structure

The memory recommendation depends on the numbers of logic cell.

Z7020 has 85K logic cell. between the XC7K70T(LC:65600) and XC7K160T(LC:162,​240).

So the closest XC7K70T can be used as a reference memory recommendation of Z7020.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi achutha,

thanks for your reply. Well, according to your reference the tools cannot exceed the usage of 2.5 Gb of memory (peak for xc7k70t). What about the CPU? The tools are using only one core, right? Is there any option for changing that? Or at least for configuring the tools to use 100% of that one core?

Thanks,

David

PS: I tried to set the tools' processes priority to real-time (in Windows) - unfortunately I didn't notice any significant difference.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi David,

If you wanted to use multiple cores in planAhead /ISE during the implementation runs , you have enable or use -mt switch in MAP and PAR. Which will enable to use 2 core for the runs using multi-threading.

Thanks,

Achutha

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Awesome, thanks a lot Achutha!
0 Kudos