UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Converting a bit-file to .coe for BRAM

Hi guys,

First off, I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forums. If there is a more suitable place, please feel free to move the post and/or direct me to it.

Secondly, I know this question was asked before, but it seems like the solution is inconclusive (I'm referring to http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/System-Logic/How-to-convert-bit-to-coe-file/td-p/165696 ). Unless there is a better approach, I was thinking of following a similar approach to convert my .bit file into a .coe (.bit -> .hex -> .coe) , but I'm not going to use the bin2hex.exe program he referred to. Instead I'll be using iMPACT. (As a side note,  I see that the bin2hex.exe tool referenced is actually for an 8051 microprocessor. Can this still be used to convert the FPGA .bit file to a hex?)

In iMPACT (I'm using 13.3), I select create PROM file, but what is the most suitable storage target so select? I see most targets allow the option of creating the .hex file. I was thinking of selecting the Generic Parallel PROM, but maybe the Xilinx Flash/PROM is better? Does this even matter? I was assuming it did.

Can anyone provide some insight towards my methodology? Will this work? Is there a better way to convert a .bit to .coe? If not, will I be able to use iMPACT to convert my .bit to .hex and then to use MAKEXCOE to convert the .hex to .coe?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos