UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Core Container simplifies revision control?

Jump to solution

Before 2015.3, I keep track of .xci. They are plain texts, easy to diff and read.

Diffing binary is never intuitive, although I can't disagree sense of simplification. Single file .xcix seems a microsoft-office like move, but one step away from traditional revision control system.

Is there a built-in diff for .xcix, I am missing?

Please comment, thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Core Container simplifies revision control?

Jump to solution

Hi @legendbb

You can also use Vivado TCL command extract_files for this extraction of XCIX file.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @legendbb

If you want to compare the XCI files, you can change the extension of XCIX to ZIP file and extract it.

Also if you want to use XCI file you can disable the option "use core containers for IP" in project settings --> IP.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @legendbb

You can also use Vivado TCL command extract_files for this extraction of XCIX file.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thanks for reply.

0 Kudos
Advisor ronnywebers
Advisor

Jump to solution

besides reducing the number of files using a container, I cannot see any advantage in using the container?

Or am I missing something else?

Without other arguments, I would prefer not to use a container for better visibility of any modifications, instead of an indirect method to extract the files back from the IP - but there must be a reason why Xilinx came up with the container?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I've decided to stay with keep tracking text based files.

Unless oneday, there comes a revision control which is able to diff and increment container blob.

0 Kudos
Scholar samcossais
Scholar

Jump to solution

Well the main problem is that everytime I open my Vivado project (in GUI), the xcix files are modified. So even when we don't intend any modification, SVN will say the files have been updated, which is extremely unconvenient... I'm using xci files now and it works perfectly fine.

0 Kudos