Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardwareheini
Visitor
Visitor

Create x1 MCS-File with PROMGEN instead of x8

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to create a .MCS-File from my .BIT file using PROMGEN. The creation of the file works, but iMPACT delivers an error when I try to program this file into the flash: 

The 'Data Width' you assigned is x1 but the PROM file (.mcs) is generated in a x8 mode. Please double check your assignments or it may not work properly.

iMPACT is right, I am using an SPI-Flash with 1 data line (S25FL128S). But I am out of ideas how I should tell PROMGEN how to create the .MCS-File otherwise. My command line is

promgen -w -p mcs -c FF -o FinalFiles\//generator.mcs -s 16384 -u 0000 "fpga-firmware.runs/impl_1/generator.bit" -spi 

I have copied this line out of the .prm-File, which iMPACT has generated, and adapted the file paths. I have also added the option -g SPI_Buswidth:1 to the Bitstream Settings in PlanAhead. Now I am out of ideas.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pratham
Scholar
Scholar
Did you go ahead and program the file anyway to check? There should be a way to generate a file using promgen. Please program the file and let me know your results.
-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@hardwareheini if you have-g SPI_Buswidth:1 then I think it should work, did you try?

if not working, please give it a try with -data_width 1 argument in your promgen command.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
hardwareheini
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Pratham,

-data_width 1 did not work. Promgen complained: Command line error: Switch "-data_width" has invalid
value. Argument[7] "1" needs to match one of these keywords: "8|16|32".

Regarding the BITGEN-Argument -g SPI_buswidth:1 I have tried this repeatedly and it does not work. PlanAhead seems to understand the added flag. The log tells me *** Running bitgen with args "Generator_routed.ncd" "Generator.bit" "Generator.pcf" -g SPI_buswidth:1 -w -intstyle pa

I guess I have to use continue using iMPACT for this...

0 Kudos
pratham
Scholar
Scholar
Did you go ahead and program the file anyway to check? There should be a way to generate a file using promgen. Please program the file and let me know your results.
-Pratham

View solution in original post

hardwareheini
Visitor
Visitor

I have flashed the .MCS-file I generated with PROMGEN successfuly into the FPGA and he is working as expected.

Christian

0 Kudos
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@hardwareheini Great! I was expecting this would work.

Please close this thread.

-Pratham

0 Kudos