UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant carwer
Participant

Failing to program the BPI flash

Hi,

I don't manage to program the BPI flash on a HiTech Global board with an xc6vlx240t device.

According to the HTG manual, the flash device is a PC28F256P30BFA BPI, 32MB.

I have a bit-file, generated with ISE12.2, and the bit file is working fine when programmed directly to the FPGA. I'm using Impact 12.3 to program the flash.

When generating the mcs file, I am making the following steps:
Generate PROM file
BPI Flash, Configure single FPGA
Target FPGA: Virtex 6
Storage device: 32M
File format: mcs
Data width: x16
->Generate file...

...and I get a "Generate succeeded".

At the boundary scan tab, I select "Add SPI/BPI Flash..." after right-clicking at the box above the FPGA, I choose the generated mcs file, in the dialog I select "BPI PROM", "28F256P30", Data width "16" and "NOT USED", and select OK. I right-click on the flash, select "Program" and "OK". The BPI access core is downloaded, there are some data printed as "Common flash interface information from device, but after that, I get the following error message:

ERROR:iMPACT - '1': iMPACT has detected a BPI flash device geometry other than top boot parameter.
Currently iMPACT only supports top boot BPI flash, this flash device will not work with the software.
For more information, please contact Xilinx Customer Support or  refer to Answer Record #36599.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.

I have tried to follow the instructions in AR#36599 but with the same results.

The correct jumper settings on the board for booting from the flash have been set, and the start-up clock is set to CCLK in BitGen.

What can I do?

Thanks, Carl

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Failing to program the BPI flash

Starting in 13.1 the Bottom Boot flashes will be officially supported.

If the flash previously had data in the lower secotrs then the AR will not work, you will need to use a 3rd party programmer to ensure that the entire flash is indeed erased.

Regards,

Kyle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant carwer
Participant

OK, so is the problem really that it is a "bottom boot" flash? Is there a workaround until 13.1 is available?

Can the error message be caused by data in the lower sectors, wouldn't such a problem rather show when trying to boot from it?

The funny thing is that we have a .mcs file, generated som time ago for exactly this same FPGA, board and flash chip, and it still works. I don't know what we did differently then, possibly using some other version of DesignSuite.

0 Kudos
Newbie moloth

Hi,

I'm also facing exactly the same issue reported by Carl, with High Tech Global Virtex 6 board.

If anybody has found a solution, please post.

Thanks,

Nishanth

0 Kudos
Newbie moloth

Hi,

I'm getting the error like this :

Common Flash Interface Information Query completed successfully.

INFO:iMPACT - Common Flash Interface Information from Device:

INFO:iMPACT - Verification string:       51 52 59

INFO:iMPACT - Manufacturer ID:           89

INFO:iMPACT - Vendor ID:                 01

INFO:iMPACT - Device Code:               19

ERROR:iMPACT - '1': iMPACT has detected a BPI flash device geometry other than top boot parameter.Currently iMPACT only supports top boot BPI flash, this flash device will not work with the software.For more information, please contact Xilinx Customer Support or  refer to Answer Record #36599.

PROGRESS_END - End Operation.

Elapsed time =     98 sec.

When I checked the numonyx data sheet for P30 flash,  for Top boot , Device ID is 8919 (Top parameter), which is same as the IMPACT reported one.

This means the BPI flash is still a top boot one; but somehow iMPACT misjudges that.

--

Nishanth

0 Kudos
Participant carwer
Participant

Hm, this is interesting. We have two HTG cards and we would really need to get programming from the flash working. If any of you other guys in the thread have any success, please notify us others.

And Xilinx, if the P30 does seem to be Top Boot we should be able to use it; how can we get around this problem?

Thanks, Carl

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

It might be time to open a webcase for this question.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you try in 12.3 or 12.4?  We have been making updates to support the bottom boot and a later service pack may take care of the issue.

It is also odd that impact would read out only this data wrong.  Do you have other boards you can try?  I would also double check the top marking on the flash and see if these are bottom boot flash.

0 Kudos

Hi!
I have some problems when using the “Program Flash Memory” function in SDK 12.4.
I have used 12.2 before without problems. But now the complete SDK crashes during “Erasing Flash Blocks…”
The project has been changed between 12.2 and 12.4 so there might be something that is caused by the project itself. Also the project has been set up on another computer (XP) and was copied to mine Win7. So maybe there is a file that is messing up the Java platform.
One indication that it might be the Java-platform is that when clicking on the question mark the “Related Topics” extends the window. But if I clock on one the complete program crashes.
I have also tested this in XPS with the same result.
What can this be?
Best Regards, Rikard

Rikard L
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It sounds like a lot has changed from one to the next, the flash parameters as well as the software and the OS.  I would start by making sure the workign flash parameters work on the new Win7 setup.  That will give you a baseline.

Next, increment the address and get it to fail, then decrement and get it to work.  If thats the case you can double check those address connections on the board.  You can also double check this failure mechanism with another PC and make sure it is the flash returning bad data.

So, in short see if you can get the failing addresses to work on 12.2 and then the working addresses to pass on 12.4.

0 Kudos
Visitor svalil
Visitor

I have the same problem now, after moving from ISE 11.5 under Windows XP 32 bit to ISE 12.4 on Windows 7, 64bit. It worked well before, exept that the bit file would rarely load from the flash at power on, I had to manually press the Program button most of the times.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I have the same problem now, after moving from ISE 11.5 under Windows XP 32 bit to ISE 12.4 on Windows 7, 64bit. It worked well before, exept that the bit file would rarely load from the flash at power on, I had to manually press the Program button most of the times.

Sounds like a bitgen setting problem.

If I understand your description correctly, programming the BPI flash memory is NOT a problem -- the problem is inconsistent configuration of the FPGA from the BPI memory.  If BPI programming was faulty, pressing the Program (which means "configure", right?) button would NEVER work.

So... Are you going to verify and debug this?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor svalil
Visitor

Now I have the same problem as the other people in this thread, to program the flash. For me, it started after migrating to ISE 12.4 under windows 7.

Before, in ISE 11.5 under windows XP, programming the flash was no problem. The only problem then was that the FPGA would rarely load the bitfile from the flash at power up.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Now I have the same problem as the other people in this thread, to program the flash. For me, it started after migrating to ISE 12.4 under windows 7.  Before, in ISE 11.5 under windows XP, programming the flash was no problem. The only problem then was that the FPGA would rarely load the bitfile from the flash at power up.

• Do you have the bitgen ena_CRC and reset_on_error options enabled?  Do they make a difference?
  • How about the configrate setting?
  • DonePin pullup?  ConfigPin pullup?  DriveDonePinHigh?
  • Set SPI Config Bus width seeting?
  • If you have a scope handy, what happens with the init_b pin during configuration attempts?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Visitor svalil
Visitor

I have gone back to ISE 11.5 (under windows 7, 64bit) and am now able to program the flash again.

My bitgen settings were originally the default ones. Disabling CRC makes no difference, and I can not find any reset_on_error option. Increasing config rate makes the configuration go noticably faster (as expected) when I press the Prog button.

I have just noted that capacitor C3 (100 uF decoupling of 12 Volt power line) has exploded a little and released the magic black smoke that makes electronics work...

However, there is another, parallel capacitor, C2 of 100 uF that still looks OK, and my application (a PCIe bus master device) still works.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I have gone back to ISE 11.5 (under windows 7, 64bit) and am now able to program the flash again.

Interesting.  If this were SPI flash and you were trying to program the flash directly (instead of indirectly via JTAG), the version 11/12 difference might make sense...

I have just noted that capacitor C3 (100 uF decoupling of 12 Volt power line) has exploded a little and released the magic black smoke that makes electronics work...

Sounds like you tried to cram too many bits into too small a capacitor.  :)

I'm as confident as you are that a little bit of black smoke is nothing to worry about.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Visitor gregwatson
Visitor

I didnt see any reslution to this so here's my input (and unresolved question):

We are using a HTG-V6-PCIE board with an xc6vlx550t FPGA.

This has the same 32MB (256Mbit) PC28F256P30BFA Numonyx Flash as mentioned by other posters.

Our first problem was generating a bit file small enough to fit (not sure why, because it always seemed smaller than 32MB).

Anyway adding the "-g compress" to bitgen changed the .bit from 18MB to 13MB and iMPACT no longer complained about the image being too big for the flash.

Here's what I used:

% bitgen -intstyle xflow -g compress -f $(PROJECT).ut $(PROJECT).ncd

And to generate the MCS:

$(PROMGEN) -intstyle xflow -s 32768 -w -p mcs -c FF -o $(PROJECT).mcs -u 0 $(PROJECT).bit -data_width 16

(Not sure if the -c FF does anything for MCS files)

Second problem was being unable to program the flash.

ISE 12.2-12.4 didnt want to know.

ISE12.1 was better but resulted in errors.

ISE13.1 (just downloaded) seems to work fine - checksums are correct.

Third problem: OK, so the flash is programmed, but when I turn the power off and back on I would expect the V6 to load the image from the flash (Mode bits are set to 010 - jumpers are ON-OFF-ON). I didnt change the jumpers while programming the flash via JTAG, but I guess the MODE jumpers are not needed while programming via JTAG???)

After asserting power I see that of the three config LEDs only 2 come on: INIT and PWR I think. DONE is not on, indicating that it didn't get programmed.

I should point out that we can use the JTAG to program the device directly - no problem at all. Of course we lose the image when power is cycled, but it means we know that the bit image is good.

We use a LINUX box, so I used lspci to see if the board was detected - no luck. Also tried a reboot (instead of power cycling)  to see if it was just that the FPGA took so long to load from Flash that the BIOS didnt see it (we have to do this when loading the image directly to the FPGA), but it didn't help.

So at this point I dont know what else to check - if anyone else has any suggestions then please let me know.

Thanks

Greg

0 Kudos
Visitor gregwatson
Visitor

Follow up to my previous post:

I wrote some very simple verilog to flash the user LEDs, synthesized it and programmed the flash. At power up the V6 correctly loaded the image from flash and started. This tells me that the basic process seems good, and the board jumpers are set correctly. I used "-g compress" for bitgen even though it didn't need it.

So I then resynthesized our main design(which uses PCIe) and programmed the flash. The programming went fine and I could verify it.

However when I cycle the power I see the INIT and PWR LEDs come on but DONE never comes on. after about 30 seconds the INIT LED goes off. PWR LED stays on. The V6 is not correctly programmed.

I have reproduced the behavior on two boards, so unlikely a board fault.

Thanks

Greg

0 Kudos
Visitor kgadeyne
Visitor

Hi Greg,

It's been a long time since you posted this... just wondering if you ended up finding the solution: we are also facing the same issue now: our HTG-V6-PCIE board regularly fails to configure from the BPI flash -- and it is also using PCIe.

Koen.

0 Kudos
Participant carwer
Participant

Hi,

No, I didn't find a solution yet, although I think there has been activity in this thread with suggestions I didn't try yet. Right now getting the programming from the flash to work isn't our main concern in our project, but it will be sooner or later and we will have to find some solution to this in the long run. So I appreciate any further suggestions.

If you're facing this problem now and are working on it, I'd suggest to file a WebCase to have Xilinx look at it. If you do, please post the outcome in this thread.

Thanks,

Carl

0 Kudos
Observer mguilbault
Observer

Hi,

It is a reply to :

Follow up to my previous post:

I wrote some very simple verilog to flash the user LEDs, synthesized it and programmed the flash. At power up the V6 correctly loaded the image from flash and started. This tells me that the basic process seems good, and the board jumpers are set correctly. I used "-g compress" for bitgen even though it didn't need it.

So I then resynthesized our main design(which uses PCIe) and programmed the flash. The programming went fine and I could verify it.

However when I cycle the power I see the INIT and PWR LEDs come on but DONE never comes on. after about 30 seconds the INIT LED goes off. PWR LED stays on. The V6 is not correctly programmed.

I have reproduced the behavior on two boards, so unlikely a board fault.

Thanks

Greg

I see the same behaviour on my card (HTG-V6-PCIE).  For some bit files, for exemple, when I have the PCIe ref design only, the done goes high.

I'm not sure if it is a race condition between the FPGA and BPI flash during power-on that create this problem.

Did you find a solution ?

Thanks

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Visitor hutchid
Visitor

I am also seeing this issue on my High Tech Global HTG-V6 Board. I am using ISE 13.2 on Linux to generate bitfile and 13.2 Lab Tools on Windows to flash the PROM.

I have tried 3 designs and have seen the following behavior

Design 1.

Reference North West Logic x8 Gen 2 PCIe Design supplied by High Tech Global. When this .mcs file is written to the PROM and power is cycled The FPGA is programmed and the done LED comes on

Design 2.

My own x4 Gen 1 PCIe Design. This design works when flashed as a bitfile but not as a .mcs file. If I open the FPGA in chipscope it reports that Device has not been programmed. However, as reported, above if I press the PROG button the FPGA comes up as expected.

Design 3.

Small Counter Design which flashes LEDs. This is a design I build from source code which when flashed as a .mcs file allows the FPGA to successfully program at powerup.

I tried opening a webcase but since the problem is with a HTG board Xilinx were unable to help.

I have contacted HTG support but they have still to provide me with anything useful.

Has anyone came up with a solution for this?

I will post anything useful l hear from HTG about this.

David

0 Kudos
Participant carwer
Participant

Original poster here. I have no news from my side unfortunately, but the issue is still unsolved for us so I'm still watching this thread for any suggestions on what to do to get this to work.

(We have two boards as well, same result with both of them. About the time of my original post I sent an email to HTG, I never got a reply.)

0 Kudos
Visitor alexholland
Visitor

We have HTG LX240T and LX550T PCIe boards and they have BPI flashes PC28F256P30. We are using LabTools v13.4 and we occasionally had the problem described in the first post depending on the size of our image.

By selecting "Full Chip Erase" & "Full Chip Blank Check" instead of the default "Design-specific" we do not get the error described in the first post and the device programs correctly.

0 Kudos
Visitor hutchid
Visitor

Thanks for your reply Alex,

I tried specifying the Erase and Check options like you said to my mcs generated from my (uncompressed ) bitfile but they did not make a difference (FPGA was still blank upon powerup).

I did however enable compression when I generated my bitfile and the .mcs derived from that loads upon powerup as expected. I tried this with and without changing the Erase and Readback options and it worked in both cases.

I have sent both bitfiles to High Tech Global for them to have a look at.

Mathieu : Have you tried enabling compression when generating your .bit? In an earlier post gregwatson (which you quoted) mentioned that he had tried compression and it didn't make a difference so I guess your mileage may vary.

Again, if I hear anything from HTG about this I will post it here

Cheers

David

I did all of this in version 13.2 of the tools

0 Kudos
Visitor alexholland
Visitor

The HTG PCIe boards we have are the HTG-V6-PCIE (with either an xc6vlx550t or xc6vlx240t FPGA). They have a 32MB (256Mbit) PC28F256P30BFA Numonyx Flash.

Step by step programming.

1) New Project

2) Configure the Device Using Boundary Scan

3) "Do you want to continue and assign configuration file(s)?" NO

4) Click OK

5) Select Create PROM File

6) BPI Flash -> Configure single FPGA -> Virtex 6 -> 32M -> Data Width x16

7) Select Bitfile. 

8) Would you like to add another device file to Configuration 0? NO

9) Click OK to continue. Click OK on Multiboot BPI Revision and Data File Assignment

10) Click Generate file

11) Close PROM File formatter tab

12) Right click on SPI/BPI? Add SPI/BPI and navigate to freshly created MCS file

Now here comes the important bit. The HTG board (that we have) has it's BPI flash configured as a "Bottom Boot" device. If you select the wrong type when you add your Flash (MCS file) you always get the "Error:iMPACT - '1' : The BPI flash geometry does not match the device boot parameter. Please double check the device part name. If you are using a bottom boot device, Please select the P30B device part name."

13) Select 28F256P30B & OK

14) Right click on FLASH and select Program then click OK

This works 95% of the time for us unless the image is very close to the size of the flash.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Visitor hutchid
Visitor

Alex,

I don't have a bottom boot part on my HTG-PCIE card. According to the HTG user guide it does but after seeing impact errors i took a look at the chip and there was no "B" on the actual chip. I spoke with HTG about this and they said that some boards (like the two I have) do not have bottom boot BPIs (Something to do with chip availiablity and lack of bottom boot support in Impact version 12)

I have another 2 HTG-PCIE cards which were ordered more recently which I have not had a chance to look at. As they are newer I expect they have the bottom boot BPI modules as advertised.

Regards

David

0 Kudos
Visitor tcornall
Visitor

====BPI flash====

This caused me a bit of a problem because the HTG userguide and the schematics say that the parallel flash memory (BPI) is a PC28F256P30BFA device and one of the choices during Impact configuration is to choose between a PC28F256P30 and a PC28F256P30B.

Naturally I chose the PC28F256P30B at first, but this led to errors.

Despite information (schematics, userguide) to the contrary, choose  PC28F256P30 NOT  PC28F256P30B when configuring the BPI flash in Impact. (I actually had a look at the chip on the board and it says 256P30TF....)

If you choose the B version you get the error  "The BPI flash device geometry does not match the device boot parameter" so it is NOT a B (Bottom boot) but rather a T (top boot) and the schematics are wrong...

Also, you may or may not have to leave/change the J42, J43 jumperson the board as 010  (i.e. 2 jumpers installed pulling the 0th and 2th bits low) supposedly for a BPI UP (bottom-up load which seems contradictory, but it works for me...

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Visitor pclet
Visitor

I have same problem.

MCS Fusing is OK, system pwer down and power on, FPGA is null.

The fusing file(mcs) is written to Flash.

At system booting, reprogram button(in HiTechGlobal Board) push, FPGA is programed.

It is that flash program is OK.

This problem may be HTG board.

Have Anyone the solution?  

0 Kudos
Newbie lkenwqr

In my case I was able to program the flash, but the configuration from PROM to FPGA would fail.  

The error message was:

Configuration data download to FPGA was not successful. DONE did not go high, please check your configuration setup and mode settings.

Found a clue in XAPP973 (v1.4) March 8, 2010, table 6 where is says that ConfigRate is an important BitGen parameter.  It had been set too high apparently (50), because when it was lowered to 2, as given in the table, it worked!

0 Kudos