UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant jimfred
Participant

Flashing from SDK to KC705

Jump to solution

We're downloading HW and SW from the SDK to a KC705 - this works fine. Next, we'd like to download to flash but we're not sure how using the Vivado SDK. Any suggestions? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant jimfred
Participant

Re: Flashing from SDK to KC705

Jump to solution

Figured it out...

These are steps to download a MicroBlaze SDK project to SPI flash on a KC705 using Vivado 2013.4...

In the SDK, select menu Xilinx Tools / Program FPGA and in the result 'Program FPGA' dialog, select the appropriate .bit, .bmm and .elf file (if they're not already selected) and click button Program. This will of course download to RAM - not flash yet.

Look for a newly-created download.bit file under directory SDK_Export/<platform> for example <MyProject>\<MyProject>.sdk\SDK\SDK_Export\<platform>\download.bit

This .bit file has the hw .bit contents and the SDK's .elf contents.

Then, just like the pre-Vivado days, use a new iMPACT project to create a .mcs file (Prepare a PROM file).

Then use another iMPACT project to download this .mcs file to an SPI Flash attached to the FPGA. The SPI flash on a KC705 is a N25Q128A13. (iMPACT detailed steps intentionally omitted in the post)

Problems encountered:

* In the SDK, the menu option Xilinx Tools / Program Flash resulted in an error/warning

'No usable flash memory controllers were found in the hardware system'.

Subsequent dialogs appeared to be limited to CFI flash which might exclude SPI flash. I don't know if this is operator error or if this menu option is not intended to program SPI flash.

* Attempted to combine the .bit and .elf files using info here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/How-can-I-merge-an-elf-and-bit-file-into-an-mcs-file-using/td-p/46629.  This step however appears to be done automatically when downloading to RAM, resulting in the download.bit file. 

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
If you are looking to program the flash, refer to http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_4/SDK_Doc/tasks/sdk_t_program_flash_zynq.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor adtimedia
Visitor

Jump to solution

When I do a Xilinx Tools > Program Flash, I don't see a dialog offering the option to select a KC705 or any other board. The next dialog shows: "No usable flash memory controllers are found in the hardware system".

Although I've exported hardware to the SDK, and the SDK can download to RAM, it's as if the SDK somehow doesn't know the KC705 has SPI flash - almost like it's missing a board definition file.

0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Jump to solution
Firstly, what kind of flash are you using?

Please refer to the following AR:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/47909.htm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant jimfred
Participant

Jump to solution

Figured it out...

These are steps to download a MicroBlaze SDK project to SPI flash on a KC705 using Vivado 2013.4...

In the SDK, select menu Xilinx Tools / Program FPGA and in the result 'Program FPGA' dialog, select the appropriate .bit, .bmm and .elf file (if they're not already selected) and click button Program. This will of course download to RAM - not flash yet.

Look for a newly-created download.bit file under directory SDK_Export/<platform> for example <MyProject>\<MyProject>.sdk\SDK\SDK_Export\<platform>\download.bit

This .bit file has the hw .bit contents and the SDK's .elf contents.

Then, just like the pre-Vivado days, use a new iMPACT project to create a .mcs file (Prepare a PROM file).

Then use another iMPACT project to download this .mcs file to an SPI Flash attached to the FPGA. The SPI flash on a KC705 is a N25Q128A13. (iMPACT detailed steps intentionally omitted in the post)

Problems encountered:

* In the SDK, the menu option Xilinx Tools / Program Flash resulted in an error/warning

'No usable flash memory controllers were found in the hardware system'.

Subsequent dialogs appeared to be limited to CFI flash which might exclude SPI flash. I don't know if this is operator error or if this menu option is not intended to program SPI flash.

* Attempted to combine the .bit and .elf files using info here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/How-can-I-merge-an-elf-and-bit-file-into-an-mcs-file-using/td-p/46629.  This step however appears to be done automatically when downloading to RAM, resulting in the download.bit file.