UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How instantiate IBERT with ILA/VIO in Vivado

Jump to solution

Hi,

When i try to generate a bitstream for Artix7 with Vivado 2015.3 that includes IBERT and VIO/ILA, i have this error :

ERROR: [Place 30-433] Unplaced instances found. If the tcl command place_design -verbose is used, all unplaced instances will be shown below. Otherwise, only 1 example instance will be shown.
Unplaced instance: u_ibert_core/inst/bscan_inst/SERIES7_BSCAN.bscan_inst of type BSCANE2

I open the post synthesized checkpoint and i tried to change the JTAG_CHAIN for the IBERT to 2 (JTAG_CHAIN for dbg_hub is set to 1 by default) and the bitstream is generated after i completed the place and route design

The problem is when i load the bitstream, i cannot see the IBERT window and the serials links. Only ILA/VIO are presents.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: How instantiate IBERT with ILA/VIO in Vivado

Jump to solution

The problem is resolved when I apply this property for the debug_hub after synth_design.

set_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN 3 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

For IBERT core we cannot change this property so we have to change the debug_cores property.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @opal-rt_fpga_grp,

The HW Manager is configured to automatically detect debug cores in User Scan Chains 1 or 3. 

Since you have assigned Chain 2 for IBERT, it will not be show automatically.

You can test is the IBERT core has been implemented and working correctly by manually launching the HW Server with the following command in TCL:

hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan  <C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN scan_chain_number>"

You could also try to modify the IBERT Scan Chain to 3 to see if it gets automatically displayed along with the ILA/VIO.

Please let us know if that helps you.

Thanks!

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply,

I have already done the test with :

set_property JTAG_CHAIN 3 [get_cells u_ibert_core/inst/bscan_inst/SERIES7_BSCAN.bscan_inst]

But when I try to load the bitstream, I have this error :

ERROR: [Labtools 27-1815] Could not find slave type in data file

I also launched in Vivado : hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 2" but it's running for indefinitely

HW_SERVER.PNG
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @opal-rt_fpga_grp,

It's normal that Vivado stays running indefinitely because that instance is busy running the HW Server in the custom mode you selected (to avoid that, you'd need to start the HW Server directly from the OS shell).

But just to test, you can leave that Vivado instance running in the background and open a new one, where you will open the HW Manager and try to perform the connection.

You can use the same command you have used, hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 2" or you can actually provide all the 4 scan chains at the same time, hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 1,2,3,4" 

Thanks.

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

It's normal that Vivado stays running indefinitely because that instance is busy running the HW Server in the custom mode you selected (to avoid that, you'd need to start the HW Server directly from the OS shell).

response:

From the OS shell when I execute : hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 1,2,3,4"

INFO: hw_server application started
INFO: Use Ctrl-C to exit hw_server application
INFO: To connect to this hw_server instance use url: TCP:MTL-D-03373:3121
_

I execute then this command : hw_server -s TCP:MTL-D-03373:3121 -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 1,2,3,4"

Same result.

But just to test, you can leave that Vivado instance running in the background and open a new one, where you will open the HW Manager and try to perform the connection.

response:

hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 1,2,3,4"
WARNING: [Common 17-259] Unknown Tcl command 'hw_server -e set xsdb-user-bscan 1,2,3,4' sending command to the OS shell for execution.
****** Xilinx hw_server v2015.3
  **** Build date : Sep 28 2015-20:29:55
    ** Copyright 1986-1999, 2001-2015 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
INFO: hw_server application started
INFO: Use Ctrl-C to exit hw_server application
Cannot create TCF server: Socket bind error. Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

You can use the same command you have used, hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 2" or you can actually provide all the 4 scan chains at the same time, hw_server -e "set xsdb-user-bscan 1,2,3,4"

In Vivado 2017.1, In Hardware Device properties, we can edit the XSDB_USER_BSCAN (by default is 1,3), when I edited to 1,2,3,4 I obtain this error too :

ERROR: [Labtools 27-1815] Could not find slave type in data file.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

The problem is resolved when I apply this property for the debug_hub after synth_design.

set_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN 3 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

For IBERT core we cannot change this property so we have to change the debug_cores property.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos