UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to save dashboard in HW manager?

I wonder how I can save a dashboard in the Vivado 2015.1 hardware manager.

I have a design with 10+ ILAs on two FPGAs.

It is very cumbersome to arrange, say, 10 waveform windows in a dashboard, and once you close and open Vivado and connect to your board again, this dashboard is gone and you have to do it all over.

Not only this, but by default it will open one dashboard for every ILA there is, which takes hell a lot of time.

So:

1) How to save a dashboard?

2) How to make Vivado not open a dashboard for every ILA on default?

Should those topics have been covered before or in a manual, please direct me there, I have not found it.

Best regards,

Johannes

17 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to save dashboard in HW manager?

Hi @cbhiskp

See the section "Vivado Hardware Manager Dashboards" in the following user guide: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you for your time Vinay,

I have read the whole chapter carefully.

It mentions what the default behaviour is, but not how to change or disable it (e.g. opening dashboard for every ILA).

Also it does not mention how to save a dashboard.

It states 

User Dashboard settings and preferences are saved automatically by Vivado IDE. Upon closing and reopening the project the user settings and preferences are restored back into the Hardware Manager.

but this is not helpful, since I want to have manual control over it (e.g. save multiple settings).

Apart from that, it do not observe that anything is saved at all, as I mentioned, once I close and reopen Vivado and open the hardware manager again and connect to the target, none of my previous settings are restored, it only opens one Dashboard for every ILA.

Best regards,

Johannes

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Johannes

A few facts around your envirnonment will help us help you better.

1. Are you running Vivado Design Edition or Vivado Lab Edition?
  2. Do you run in project or project-less mode?
  3. Have you looked in the sections regarding customizing the dashboards? You can use that feature to consolidate ILAs into a single or set of dashboards - avoiding the long dashboard load times. We are aware of the issues around dashboard load times and are working to fix it.
  4. In 2015.1 - as mentioned in the User Guide - the User Dashboard settings and preferences are saved automatically by Vivado IDE. As a quick workaround - to save a version of the settings - i recommend archiving the project. You could have multiple archives of the project to correspond to the sets of changes you have made to the dashboard.

Regards

Smitha

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I believe that you do not open the HW manager as part of a project. What I mean is that you launch Vivado and then from the starting page you click on 'Open HW Manager'. An 'Open HW Manager' session always remains in memory and NOT on disk. It is not associated with any project as well. Therefore no information regarding your dashboards, waveforms, or programming settings is saved.

What is talked about in the UG908 is the case where you either open HW manager directly when a project is already opened or the case when you have created a project for you hardware session.

If you're using a project-less flow. Open HW manager once, then go to File menu and select Save Project As... from here, you have created a hardware project that the tool will automatically save all of your hardware programing and debug acctivities. When you want to resume your debug activity at a later time, open that project first and continue. There's no need to Save your activities though as mentioned in the UG.

To give you more details: a HW manager project file has an .lpr extension. This project file gets automatically created once you have a project within Vivado (.xpr). Once you have a project, the .lpr file resides inside the .hw folder of your project folders.

If you don't create a project to build your design or just use a .bit and .ltx to program and deubg, then in order to keep your settings, you need to create a project for once so that the tool could save your settings somewhere on a disk location.

You can watch the QuickTake video for Using Vivado Lab Edition to learn more about the concept explained here. The difference between how it's done in full Vivado Design Suite and Lab edition is very minor.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Smitha:

1) I am Running Vivado System Edition v2015.1 64bit SW Build 1209967

2) Since I open Vivado from the .xpr in my folder, I assume this means I work in project mode

3) I am aware of those features. This is what I usually do, consolidate many waveforms in one dashboard

4) Thanks for the note

Right now, I can not reproduce the loss of dashboard settings. I think it happened in combination with programming new bitfiles (maybe something, which Chipscope could handle better: additional ILAs in new bitfiles, renaming of signals). I will try to observe, if something goes wrong, when I add/remove ILAs in the future.

amirz:

Thank you very much for the additional explanation. I can find the .lpr file in the folder you mentioned, and as I wrote, I can see that in a simple setup, the dashboard will stay upon closing and reopening Vivado.

I have to watch closely under which circumstances they disappear, it happened many times.

And, as mentioned already, restarting the HW manager is no fun: It connects to my board and opens 18 dasboards + VIO, this takes... a long time.

So, for now, I will try to recreate the situation and post here again. If I find that I cannot recreate it, I will mark it as solved. 

Best regards,

Johannes

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

It happened again that I had to start all over again with the default dashboards.
Steps leading to this were restart of Vivado and a new bitfile, with only slight changes in some the debug cores.
Chipscope was handling this better.
Adventurer
Adventurer

I am using Vivado 2015.3 and have a similar request:

I am using version control software (vcs) to share firmware and project sources with other collaborators. So I don't want to save the whole vivado project directory tree into the vcs. I was able to open the .lpr file in the <project>.hw directory, and all my customizatins of the VIO were restored. But when I moved the .lpr file out of the project tree, somehow I was not able to restore my customizations when opening the file in the labtools.

What collection of files is the absolute necessary set to do this?

I would especially like to ship something like a "layout" file to a collaborator that allows her/him to setup VIO with the same customizations I had, similar to how this was possible in the old ISE Chipscope project files.

Is that possible?

0 Kudos
Visitor krynn1978
Visitor

I have the very same problem in Vivado 2016.2.
No way to save the dashboard setup. Every time I reprogram one of the devices, I have to set up again the logic analyzer.
My project has more than 20 ILAs spread across 4 FPGAs. I let you imagine what a huge waste of time this is.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Dear all,

aas anything been done about this?

I am working with 2016.2, and I'm still losing my nerves about this.

Just now I tried:

Open project, from inside the project open HW manager. FPGAs are already configured, many dashboards/ila open up.
In configure a dashboard:
(1) add triggers in the Trigger Setup

(2) close the capture setup
(3) add probes in the waveform

(4) change radix in the waveform
(5) change width of the Name/Value column

Close vivado, reopen vivado, from within the project open HW manager.
Vivado has memorized only (1) and (3). 

Please fix this or allow to save it manually. :-(((

Best regards,

Johannes

Visitor jmayergoogle
Visitor

This is a serious pain-point for me as well.

I can confirm that "Save Project As..." in non-project mode still does not address this issue.  Opening a project saved in this fashion does not restore the arrangement and grouping of signals in the logic analyzer windows.

It's almost 2017 and this issue still hasn't been addressed.  Any chance of getting some attention to this issue soon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I'm a bit confused that this issue does not seem to addressed.

How is everyone else dealing with the problem?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

"[...] does not seem to BE addressed."
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I now have to use the HW manager with 8 FPGAs on the JTAG bus, each with 7 ILA/VIO.
It's driving me crazy.

I'm begging for help right now.
0 Kudos
Visitor diliyxg
Visitor

Does there anybody have good solutions? Thanks

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello

I have the very same problem in Vivado 2017.4. I work with eight FPGA with complex VIO in each. Every time, when I reopen HW manager, I must adjust every VIO dashboard again. It is very uncomfortable. ChipScope was much better.

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just now I performed a test using Vivado 2018.1, in project mode.

I loaded a design into a KC705 board, containing a JTAG-to-AXI core and an ILA core.

I elected the bus axi_rdata[31:0] as the signal of interest for this test.

ILA_waveforms_name.jpg

I renamed the axi_rdata[31:0] to READ_DATA_BUS, as in the image below.

ILA_waveforms_name_2.jpg

Following this, I closed the HW Manager and the Vivado project, turned off the board (so it gets the programmed bitstream erased), and reopened the project, then HW manager, and reprogrammed the board with the same bitstream.

Once the board was up, the ILA signal came back with the last name (READ_DATA_BUS), as expected.

Now, as a second test, I once again closed the HW Manager and the Vivado project, and turned off the board.

I opened an new HW Manager session, not associated with any project. I loaded the previous bitstream and ltx file into the FPGA, and the net name was back to the original axi_rdata[31:0].

That is expected because the details of the waveform viewer is saved into the same folder of the Vivado Project. Since on this case there wasn’t any project, it all loaded with the initial default names.

As a third test (and in case you are working in non-project mode), in the in the same configuration above (independent HW Manager session), I once again modified axi_rdata[31:0] name to READ_DATA_BUS_2. I then went into File -> Project -> Save as, and saved the project into some random location.

Once again, I closed the HW Manager and the Vivado project, and turned off the board. I then opened a new Vivado session, opened the previously saved project and the HW Manager. I loaded the bitstream into the board and the bus was correctly presented as READ_DATA_BUS_2.

So the conclusion is that you must open first open the Vivado Project and then open the HW Manager to program the board and see the bitstream. If you are working in non-project mode, after you made the name modifications, save it as a project and always load this project before configuring the board.

Also, it’s recommended that you use a Vivado 2018.1 or newer (if you are not doing that yet).

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie aleluca

I'm working with vivado 2018 and I don't know if your version works at same maneer..  any way I save it as follow:

FILE/project/saveAs

it save every thing in a separate xpr file that link in the .hw all the dashboard.

Hope can be usefull

0 Kudos