UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to trigger and capture only on change in Vivado

Hello,

I´ve seen it's possible to do this on chipscope but didn't found the way to do it in vivado ILA because you can set up to capture 1bit bus width signals in both transitions but this is not possible for bus signals due the limit numbers of comparators.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How to trigger and capture only on change in Vivado

Hi @jmartinez ,

I'm sorry, I did not understand exaclty what you are trying to do. could you please clarify? What do you mean with "trigger and capture only on change"?

If you could exemplify how you would like to trigger, on what signals, how many times, etc., it would be great to help us understand the use case better.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

hi @anunesgu,

something like this https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/How-to-trigger-and-capture-only-on-change/m-p/268342#M3539 but in Vivado instead of chiscope.

I want to capture the behavior of a module capturing the data ports(valid,enable,rst,datain dataout...) when running in hardware. for this reason I try to capture the signals only on change(due the length limitation of the ILA window) and with the help of a timer reconstruct the timimg behavior to be able to simulate it to understand what's happening.

For 1 bit signals this is easy due its posible to trigger in capture window for both transitions but for data bus signals I only can compare it with values and if I try to descompose the signals in bits the vivado give me one error in the capture window due the number of comparators is limited.

Hi @jmartinez ,

Since Vivado is limiting on the number of comparators, you can do three things:

• When creating the ILA, you can choose a value for "Number of Comparators". This is always set to the minimum (for saving memory space) but you can increase it if you need.
  • The ILA also have the storage qualification feature, which can be enabled when implementing the ILA. Please take a look at the document Integrated Logic Analyzer v6.2 - PG172, pg. 9.
  • Maybe you'll be better of using an Advanced Trigger instead. This will give you access to a few special registers that you can use to count and compare events. There's an explanation and example on how to use this in the document Vivado Programming and Debugging - UG908 (v2018.3), Appendix B, pg. 320.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

thanks @anunesgu  for replay and sorry for be so late.

Regarding your response:

"When creating the ILA, you can choose a value for "Number of Comparators". This is always set to the minimum (for saving memory space) but you can increase it if you need."

It says the maximum number of comparators for signal is 16, what it means?, you can only compare a bus signal with 16 values? you can capture a bus of maximum 16 bits width?.

"The ILA also have the storage qualification feature"

This is the capture mode option? it only works with binary signals(capture in both transitions) not buses due is not possible to setup a bus to capture any transition in signal value.

"Maybe you'll be better of using an Advanced Trigger instead. This will give you access to a few special registers that you can use to count and compare events."

With advanced trigger I can store the value of a signal bus to use it as a trigger for capture? also the trigguer option has a minimun 2 sample window so I have an extra sample for each capture.

Regards.

0 Kudos