UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor coquet
Visitor

IEEE1735 encryption and EDIF

Hi,

I've encrypted an VHDL module using IEEE1735 in Vivado 2016.4

Now, I want to create a netlist of this encrypted VHDL. I've got following error (when running write_edif)

ERROR: [Designutils 20-2284] Design protected by IEEE 1735 V2  may not be written to EDIF

When looking at ug1118 table 6-2, it seems to be possible to add Xilinx Specific Tool Rights to enable netlist creation

xilinx_enable_netlist_export
Is Vivado allowed to export a netlist of protected region? “true”, “false”

It should be true by default but even by setting it to true it does'nt work (Error described above).

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: IEEE1735 encryption and EDIF

Hi @coquet,

I think you cannot use IEEE1735 encryption on an EDIF file. The workaround would be to use write_vhdl or write_verilog instead to have the synthesized design.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor coquet
Visitor

Hi @florentw

I don't use IEEE1735 encryption on an EDIF file (I don't try to encrypt the EDIF), i want to write an edif on an encrypted source.

0 Kudos

Hi @coquet,

Popular netlist formats, like EDIF, are not covered by IEEE 1735

-> so if you could write an edif, it won't be encrypted... so it would make no sense to encrypt the file from the beginning...

So the answer is only that you cannot write an edif on encrypted source. You can only write verilog (and systemVerilog) or vhdl

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor coquet
Visitor

Hi @florentw

What is said in ug1118 is

"Although there are many different formats of design source files, IEEE-1735-2014 only applies to Verilog, SystemVerilog, and VHDL formats. These RTL standards are also governed by the IEEE, and it is by mutual agreement that those standards will allow IEEE-1735 to define behavior in IP security until such a time as the recommendations in IEEE 1735 can be retrofitted into the original language standards contained in the language reference manuals (LRMs). Popular netlist formats, like EDIF, are not covered by IEEE 1735."

According to my understanding, it talks about source to encrypt. And what I'm encrypting is VHDL.

My problem is not with encrypt Tcl command but with write_edif tcl command after having encrypted my VHDL source file.

It is not very clear if it means that EDIF cannot be generated after encryption.

Concerning write_edif, It seems to be compatible with encrypted files since on option is available for that purpose

[-security_mode]            If set to 'all', and some of design needs encryption then whole of design will be written to a single  encrypted file.

I will try with write_vhdl, and let you know, but I'm interested in knwoing your opinion concerning my above questionning.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hello @coquet,

I wondered what did you get on with this? 

So far we have tried two approaches

1. Encrypt all source files first using `encrypt -key key_file -lang verilog -ext .svp <file_name.sv>`, run synthesis, and `write_edif -security_mode all <netlist.edn>` to get a single specified encrypted EDIF file. 

2. Synthesise the design and get the unencrypted netlist .v file first, encrypt it using `encrypt -key key_file -lang verilog -ext .vp <file_name.v>`, import it back into Vivado, and run `write_edif -security_mode all <netlist.edn>` to get a single specified encrypted EDIF file. 

We did more or less the same as your last post but doesn't seem to get us to anywhere. It would be great if you could share your experience here.

Best regards,

Taihai 

0 Kudos