UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Is it possible to measure the clock frequency using ILA ?

Jump to solution

Hi Friends,

I added some clock nets{having different frequencies } in the ILA probe list, is it possible to measure the frquency of these clocks in Vivado Hardware Manager using ILA core ?

NOTE: Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thank You

S Sampath

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it possible to measure the clock frequency using ILA ?

Jump to solution

Hi @ssampath

Yes, you have to correlate sampling data with the sampling clock. Suppose one clock cycle of the clock(frequency to be measured) is sampled in the sampling window  of 100. Then the clock frequency is expected to be 100/sampling frequency.

I hope this is clear.

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @ssampath

Yes, you can sample the clock nets by adding them to the ILA probe list. But you must run your ILA clock on a different and significantly faster frequency. Your ILA frequency (sampling frequency) should be double or more than double to the frequency being sampled based on Nyquist criteria. Failing to do this leads to improper sampling of clock signals. Please refer the helpful post for your ease:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/UltraScale-Architecture/Probing-a-clock-using-ILA-core/td-p/741540

Regards
Rohit
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

what accuracy do you want to measure to ?

The ILA is a sampled system, so your sampling the clock your sending in, the on screen results will have jitter dependent upon the difference in rate of your ILA clock and the clock your looking at.

If you have another independent clock in the system ( a second oscilator )  you can do things like a counter on one clock sampled a number of clock counts of the other clock,  and feed the output to the ILA, 

this is dependent upon the accuracy of the reference clock your using, 

Other option I use, is create a 1 Hz or slower signal off the clock with a counter, and put out to a spare pin 

check the period to determine the clock accuracy. a 24 hour counter, can give a good indication if you use a time marker like GPS or even the radio ( big ben or the pips used to be useful, just make certain you use the same source and 24 hours later so you minimize the differences )

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

HI @thakurr,

how to measure the clock frequecny, just it will show only sampled data right ? from this is there any option to see the frequency of the clock net in the vivado manager or we have to correlate sampled data with sampling clock ?

i have different clocks that too fractional frequencies.

Even if i maintain sampling frquency twice of max clock, it is possible to measure all clocks frequecies ?

Thank You

S Sampath

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ssampath

Yes, you have to correlate sampling data with the sampling clock. Suppose one clock cycle of the clock(frequency to be measured) is sampled in the sampling window  of 100. Then the clock frequency is expected to be 100/sampling frequency.

I hope this is clear.

Regards
Rohit

0 Kudos
Visitor ankitkes2
Visitor

Jump to solution

How can we convert the x-axis of ILA to time scale i.e in microsecond or nanosecond etc , so that we can measure the time period of the clock.

0 Kudos