UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

JTAG programming without design files

Jump to solution

Greetings!

I am trying to program Xilinx devices in a scan chain consisting of:

XC18V04VQ44C PROM

XQR4036XL-3  FPGA

XC95288XL-208-10 CPLD

I have no design files only the programming files for the PROM and CPLD. I am trying to use ISE Design Suite 14.7, but of course being an obsolete FPGA, the XQR4036XL is not listed in the library when I try to create a new project. And without creating a project, I am unable to open the iMPACT tool.

Should I be using the standalone version of the lab tools to program these devices?

Ken Grohman

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: JTAG programming without design files

Jump to solution
Hi Ken,

You need to download and install labtools for standalone impact.

Please note that impact tool doesn't need any license file.

You need to initialize the device chain in Boundary scan window of impact to see the device chain.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Hi Ken,

Impact is a standalone tool. You need not use ISE to invoke impact.

Please launch impact in standalone and program the devices.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Using 14.7 for obsolete devices will not work.

You may also download older versions of the  tools  that will support this device. 

To download older version of ISE  Kindly check the archive link at http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/archive.html 

Additionally the following AR http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/32611.html  also useful which address questions related to discontinued Xilinx products

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

My guess is, if you have the bsd file for this FPGA from some install, then you can add it to the JTAG chain and then use it for programming in 14.7 probably. However you got to check this if it works. However as said standalone can be used, you need not have an ISE project created.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Hi Krishna!

Is the standalone version of iMPACT available for download? Will the standalone version of iMPACT automatically identify the devices in the scan chain when I connect the Platform Cable programming hardware?

Ken
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Hi Ken,

You need to download and install labtools for standalone impact.

Please note that impact tool doesn't need any license file.

You need to initialize the device chain in Boundary scan window of impact to see the device chain.

Regards,
Krishna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You might also need the bsd files for the older devices.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
The .bsd files of older devices also comes with the labtools install. You need not download/copy any bsd files.

Regards,
Krishna

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Krishna!

Unfortunately, I could not find a .bsdl file for the QPro XQR4036XL device. I did find a reference to AR# 10408, which said:

that the XC4036XL .bsdl file was an acceptable substitute. But wouldn't the IDCode of the XC4036XL device be different from the XQR4036XL? How would I find out the IDCode of the XQR4036XL device?

Solution                       

There are no BSDL files for the QPRO and Rad Hard parts. However, BSDL files from the corresponding commercial family version can be effectively substituted.
The commercial BSDL files can be found at: http://www.xilinx.com/support/sw_bsdl.htm
The chart below explains which parts to use.
BSDL Compatibility:
XQVR -> XCV

XQV -> XCV

XQR4000XL -> XC4000XL

XQ4000XL -> XC4000XL

XQ4000EX -> XC4000EX

XQ4000E -> XC4000E

Ken

0 Kudos