UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer bharathmanogna
Observer

Multiplier Power using XPA

Hi all,

I am using XPA to compare power consumptions of two different algorithms.

both of them are almost similar and use a multiplier , but one has a result very much different from other , which is not expected,so i want to know the method XPA uses to compute Multiplier power consumption.

Please suggest where i can find a detailed description on multiplier power consumption.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Multiplier Power using XPA

There could be some design differences in both cases. Also try in same versions of tools.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Observer bharathmanogna
Observer

Re: Multiplier Power using XPA

Hi  Kodali,

Thank you for your response,

Actually the design is slightly different as shown below,

Code1

if(STARTOP) begin            
        if(DOUT>TRESH) begin
            SUMY <= SUMY+DOUT*i;
            SUMX <= SUMX+DOUT*j;
            SUMI <= SUMI+DOUT;
        end
    end

Code2

if(STARTOP) begin            
        if(DOUT>TRESH) begin
            SUMY <= SUMY+(DOUT-TRESH)*i;
            SUMX <= SUMX+(DOUT-TRESH)*j;
            SUMI <= SUMI+(DOUT-TRESH);
        end
    end

Code 1 has lesser power consmpution than Code2 which is against expectation the only difference between them is that one operand is subtrated by a default value before multiplication.

I cannot see why there must be an increase because of it, can  you explanations this.

Thanks,

Bharath

0 Kudos