cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in programming SPI flash(M25P10) connected to xilinx FPGA & CPLD.

Hi,

I have got 3 devices in a jtag chain, SPI flash, FPGA(spartan-2) and cpld .

The issue is,  i can't able to see SPI flash during impact programming.so pls help me, if i am missing any setting.

I am using xilinx ISE9.1 tool and xilinx programmer.

thanks

parshant

631-JTAG device snapshot.bmp
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Professor
Professor

SPI flash doesn't have a JTAG interface, so I'm not sure how it is connected to your system, but it will not show up in the JTAG chain.  For newer Xilinx devices that support Master SPI configuration, it is possible to use Impact to indirectly program the SPI flash using the FPGA JTAG connections, however Spartan 2 is not supported in this way.  Normally for Spartan 2 you would need to have some other device to read the SPI flash and forward the data to the Spartan 2 configuration inputs.  Is this your own board?  Can you share the portion of the schematic that shows the configuration connections?

-- Gabor
0 Kudos

Thanks for ur reply..

Pls find attached sch snapshot..i have generated hex file to program SPI flash..

pls reply me asap..

Thanks

prashant

sch_snapshot.png
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor

The M25P10 is clearly not connected to the JTAG chain (no TDI TDO TMS TCK pins).  It is connected to both the XC9500 CPLD and the "PCI-CORE" chip (is this the Spartan 2?).  I don't see any additional connections to the SPI signals that might allow you to use direct SPI programming unless they go off page.

It looks to me like your choices consist of:

1) removing the M25P10 from the board and programming it on a standalone programmer.

2) writing your own code for the FPGA to use some interface to upload data and program it into the M25P10.

3) adding connections to the board to allow the programming cable to use SPI direct programming.

As far as I know, there is no Impact version that allows indirect SPI programming with Spartan 2.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos

Thanks,

I think, point# 2 is used to program M25P10 because i can see code for flash upgradation in the FPGA & CPLD code.

Now the issue is, CPLD has got some glue logic so where i need to load this file(its hex file)?

1. Where i need to load hex (used for flash), Is it in CPLD or FPGA?

OR

First i need to program CPLD (with jed file) on that i need to program hex file?

Pls let me know.

Thanks

Prashant

0 Kudos