UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor robert_ko
Visitor

Plan Ahead IBIS export

I'm trying to export IBIS for Virtex-5 out of plan ahead with just pin assigment.   The plan ahead documentation mentions this feature avail for Virtex-7.

I don't see the option avail under File->Export.  Do I need to synthesize a partial design to get that info or is it even avail for Virtex-5?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Plan Ahead IBIS export

hi,

virtex5.ibs does not seem to exist under the location documented in this AR https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/41685.html

you can navigate to the following location in the installation directory, PlanAhead\data\parts\xilinx\virtex5 to confirm the same.

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

@robert_ko I think the write_ibis is only from 7- series and above. 

For Virtex-5, you will need to use the IBIS Writer in ISE

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @robert_ko

Download Virtex-5 IBIS models from here.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor robert_ko
Visitor

I had previously download that IBIS and forwarded to board developer but they complained the IO to IO skew was not there.

I relooked and could not even find package for XQR5VFX130 (CF1752).  Is that release imcomplete?

0 Kudos

Please use IBIS Writer i.e. create custom IBIS Model from ISE for the part you are using and you should get the IBIS model that includes the package details. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor robert_ko
Visitor

Can you tell what steps to take in ISE 13.2?   It looks like it lauches PlanAhead.   I'd like to go from IO csv to get package skew.

0 Kudos

Follow the regular flow of Implementing the design in ISE. Once implemented, Expand the Place & Route tree to see the "Generate IBIS Model" option

ibis_writer.JPG 

With Generate IBIS Model selected, click on Process -> process properties to set the properties for the IBIS model 

ibis_writer1.JPG

The generated IBIS model should have the details you looking for

- Giri
0 Kudos
Visitor robert_ko
Visitor

if I have plan ahead ucf and top level verilog (i just have wrapper only), what CLI commands to I run to get NGC file that ibiswriter needs?   Our current flow uses precision so I'd like to try to script it

0 Kudos
Visitor robert_ko
Visitor

I followed the instruction using netlist shell but IBISWRITER complains xqr5vfx130 (Rad hard Virtex-5) not supported?

Started : "Generate IBIS Model".
Running ibiswriter...
Command Line: ibiswriter -intstyle ise -truncate 20 fec1_top.ncd fec1_top.ibs
Loading device for application Rf_Device from file 'qr5vfx130.nph' in
environment /apps/xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS_v12/ISE.v12_overlay/.
"fec1_top" is an NCD, version 3.2, device xqr5vfx130, package cf1752, speed
ERROR:PostProcessors:26 - IBISWriter: qrvirtex5 is an unsupported architecture.
Use ibiswriter -h to list supported architectures.

Process "Generate IBIS Model" failed

0 Kudos
Newbie jenglee

Did anyone have better luck?  I have encountered the same issue with ibiswriter.  It looks like the overlay package never provide an updated binary to support qrvirtex5 architecture.  I can only think of an alternative to cut/paste the exported pin info on a project compiled using commercial part into the supplied .ibs. 

0 Kudos