UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor gates2231
Visitor

Programming two FPGAs with two platform cables at same time from same host

Hi all,

I have a two fold questions

1. I have two Virtex 7 boards(S1 and S2) which are connected to my laptop by two Xilix usb platform cables.

I want to program S1 and S2 in batch mode at the same time by launching two instances of impact.

The idea is to assign S1 and S2 two diferent bit files B1 and B2 and program them from the same host.

Order doesn't matter S1 can be programmed first followed by S2 or vice versa but eveything should be automated.

2)Does platform cable or FPGA have any unique ID with which I can tag S1 and S2 to differ between the FPGA?

Kindly give me your ideas

Thank You :-)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Programming two FPGAs with two platform cables at same time from same host

Hi,

Platform Cable USB II contains a 64-bit electronic serial number used by applications to uniquely identify them.

Please refer to "Multiple USB Cable Management" section of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds593.pdf for more details.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Additionally you can edit the below commands according to your requirement and use it in batch mode to program to different boards-

setMode -bs
setCable -port usb21 -baud 6000000
Identify
assignFile -p 4 -file "H:/Amdocs_cases/Cases_88xxxx/885740/AND/and_gate.bit"
Program -p 4
setCable -port usb22 -baud 6000000
Identify
assignFile -p 1 -file "H:/Amdocs_cases/Cases_88xxxx/885740/twoxfourdecoder.bit"
Program -p 1 -onlyFpga
quit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you tried this approach?

0 Kudos
Visitor gates2231
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I tried your approach but I have a more deeper problem now

My problem is as follows

I have two FPGAs 1. Master and 2.Slave

I want master bit file to goto Master fpga and Slave bit file to goto slave FPGA

So I need a way to tag FPGAs as well as detect them back in JTAG chain

I came across USERCODE and USER ID setting 

Are there any other methods by which I can tag an fpga by giving it a number or something like that and can again read back that number

Thanks

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gates,

UserCODE is the only available way.

Are you using daisy mode configuration?

Regards,
Krishna

0 Kudos
Visitor gates2231
Visitor

Hi,

No I am not using a daisy-chain configuration. Both are tied to two independant chains

Are there device IDs of FPGA which are unique to each FPGA manufactured?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gates,

Every device for example all the XC6slx45t devices have the same deviceid whereas the XC6slx150t have different ID codes.

Regards,
Krishna

0 Kudos