Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Save HW ILA Configuration in Vivado

Hi, 

I am trying to get the HW ILA probe configuration to be persistent between bitstream compilations, I have read many posts regarding this topic and I am quite confused as to how everything is interconnected, I have not had reliable success in retaining the configuration from the solutions stated in the following posts: 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Simulation-and-Verification/Saving-a-waveform-for-use-later-Vivado-2013-2/td-p/370421

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-Debug-and-Power/Saving-waveform-window-format-in-Vivado-2015-2-Logic-Analyzer/td-p/661150

I have only got it to work once by fluke I think, but I cannot replicate it. I now have a separate project called hardware_test where I load the bitstream and use it as a dedicated project for the logic analyser tool. 

I would also like to know how I can export the ILA data into a static simulation (with everything setup exactly the way I see it in the ILA) so that I can use the floating point radix option, the waveform information is there but the probe order and colouring scheme is messed up and I'd rather convert the values manually than re-order everything back to the way they were. (I have read a similar post on this too)

I am running Vivado 2019.2 and I am looking for a robust simple solution, avoiding consistently entering tcl commands if possible. Please could I not be referred to the manuals as they are always overwhelmingly confusingly (I have been through them regarding the waveforms configs), in the timescales I have for my project I don't have time to read them and I could better spend my energy solving actual hardware problems. 

Best Regards, Ren

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Save HW ILA Configuration in Vivado

Hi, 

I am able to get the ILA data imported into a static simulation, but my only issue is that the probe configuration is not preserved it is not able to detect waveform names: "Simulation object //system_i/spectro_1/averages_out was not found in the design.". 

I can see that it adds an extra "/" to the front of the name causing it to not be detected. 

The whole reason for this is so that I can use real radix on the ILA data I have recorded.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know a way around it ? I am open to anything as it is extremely laborious to reconfigure the waveforms every-time I record data. 

Best Regards, Ren 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Are you opening Hardware Manager without starting a project?  If you first create a project and then open Hardware Manager from within the project, then the probe configurations and setups should remain persistent. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

No it's a separate project which I call hardware test, then I open up the hardware manager capture the ILA data and open up another Vivado instance and then start a static simulation, then import the ILA data. Are you saying I should stay within the same 'hardware test' project when I open up a static simulation? 

0 Kudos