UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Spartan 3AN multiboot external SPI

Hello,

My custom board uses the Spartan3S700AN with multiboot in ISF (in system flash).  This has been working great so far however, the 700AN has enough ISF to only hold 2 configuration bitstreams and I can see in the future that I might need more than 2.  So I changed from storing the bitstreams in ISF to external flash...

I can boot from external flash just fine.  My problem is that I can not perform a multiboot trigger to the second configuration bitstream in external flash.  It would always load the default bitstream at location 0x000000.

My configuration mode pins M[2:0] is set to 001 = external SPI mode.  In ISE, I set the next configuration starting address to the location of the second configuration bitstream in external flash.  Still everytime I try to trigger the ICAP, the xilinx will reconfigure itself with configuration one. 

How can I get it to boot to the second one?

Regards

hv

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor sweethomala8
Visitor

Re: Spartan 3AN multiboot external SPI

I'm trying to get my system to boot from SPI flash, the flash is also used for configuration and multi-boot using ICAP, can this simply be done just by connecting a SPI flash (1 bit data bus) to the configuration pins of the FPGA as shown in the configuration user guide?  I want to be able to do self-reconfiguration in system.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

sweethomala8

Yes you should be able to connect the SPI flash to your Xilinx FPGA according to their pins: MOSI, MISO, CLK, CS.  I think these four signals are dedicated during startup and can be configured to be I/O's after configuration.  Make sure your mode pins are setup for external SPI flash. 

Regards.

hv

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Did you follow the command sequence specified in Table 14-3, UG332?

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug332.pdf

"Command Sequence to Initiate MultiBoot to a Specified Address"

If you have already followed the recommended sequence, it's better to open a webcase in Technical Support and let the Engineer help checking your code. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos