Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Thermal Resistance

Jump to solution

If we hover over the effective Theta-J-A in the project summary or the power report, we see that the thermal resistance is "Effective thermal resistance.  User selected package, airflow, heatsink and board characteristics are used with characterization and simulation to calculate." 

I know where I defined the package.  Where are the other parameters defined?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tenzinc

Bruce,

Report power has a lot of input settings that can be adjusted for. If you just straight run the command it will use default environment settings. You can see these settings in the power report generated by vivado or you can alternatively open the report power GUI and see them there as well. Personally I generally use the GUI for quick comps but for actual designs I have a tcl script that sets these along with the switching activity info. For actual power sensitive designs with low thermal margins and high thermal accuracy requirements I woudn't rely on this too much but would rather refer to actually doing thermal smuations with our thermal models. 

power_report.JPG

report_power.JPG

Regards,

T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tenzinc

Bruce,

Report power has a lot of input settings that can be adjusted for. If you just straight run the command it will use default environment settings. You can see these settings in the power report generated by vivado or you can alternatively open the report power GUI and see them there as well. Personally I generally use the GUI for quick comps but for actual designs I have a tcl script that sets these along with the switching activity info. For actual power sensitive designs with low thermal margins and high thermal accuracy requirements I woudn't rely on this too much but would rather refer to actually doing thermal smuations with our thermal models. 

power_report.JPG

report_power.JPG

Regards,

T

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Thanks for answering my question.  Unfortunately, I will probably need a more sophisticated thermal modeling program as I have a non-standard physical configuration. 

0 Kudos