UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to move project files created by Xilinx ISE

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just started out with Xilinx ISE 9.1i Webpack since the past couple of weeks. My problem is that I'm unable to move the project folders created by Xilinx to other locations in Windows nor am I able to delete them. The error that is cropping up that the folder is being used by other program. But the thing is that I  have closed ISE before I even started to move these folders.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Unable to move project files created by Xilinx ISE

Jump to solution

I'd say it's not likely to mess up ISE, however it's generally a good idea to back up your project (.ise) file after you close ISE normally.  I never used ISE 9.1, however I remember that 8.1 had a lot of issues and often trashed the project file.  This necessitated a project recovery.  You might consider upgrading to ISE 10.1.03i (for older parts) or a more recent version if you want a more stable experience.  The only drawback is that a project with a lot of IP (especially if you use the EDK) can require some effort to port to a newer version.  If you are starting a new project, or have projects consisting primarily of your own code, then updating to a newer version of ISE is easier.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

It's possible that some piece of ISE is still running in the background.  You could open Task Manager and look for a process called "_pn" and stop it if it's running.  Otherwise you can try logging out and logging back in or even re-booting to make sure nothing is using these folders.

-- Gabor

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Thanks a lot. There were a whole bunch of _pn process (8 to be exact) in the task manager. I stopped all of them and then I was able to move the project files.

Will stopping the processes in this manner mess up the ISE in some way?

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

I'd say it's not likely to mess up ISE, however it's generally a good idea to back up your project (.ise) file after you close ISE normally.  I never used ISE 9.1, however I remember that 8.1 had a lot of issues and often trashed the project file.  This necessitated a project recovery.  You might consider upgrading to ISE 10.1.03i (for older parts) or a more recent version if you want a more stable experience.  The only drawback is that a project with a lot of IP (especially if you use the EDK) can require some effort to port to a newer version.  If you are starting a new project, or have projects consisting primarily of your own code, then updating to a newer version of ISE is easier.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using ISE for class work. I was supposed to use either version 9.1 or 10.1. It had something to do with the fact that we have boards that are compatible with these versions of ISE only. I'm practically just starting out in VHDL and Digital Design. Initially I tried using version 10.1 but I had run into lots of problems just trying to make it work, considering that all these versions are only supported only on windows XP and I'm running windows 8. I was somehow able to install ISE 9.1 finally and now am using it. 

I'll check to see if the projects that are moving are working or not and then update this post. 

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos