UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor raksarian
Visitor

VIVADO 2015.2 POWER REPORT ARTIX - 7

I tried to verilog code a system using two methods. I synthesized it for Artix - 7.  One code was having almost 16 inverter gates less than the other. But still the power report in the implementation section shows the same power reading. Why is it so? Obviously power should reduce if the number of gates decrease.  Can anyone helpme?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Visitor raksarian
Visitor

Re: VIVADO 2015.2 POWER REPORT ARTIX - 7

I tried to simply code an AND gate and a NAND gate. But both yield the same power information. In NAND one inverter is an additioal component. So there should be some change in the power report. But no. Y is it so?

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

@raksarian This is not the correct way to do power anlaysis of combinational logic. Design clocks are the main component for dynamic power computation. If no clocks are defined, switching activity estimates will be inaccurate, resulting in inaccurate power
estimates.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor raksarian
Visitor

Would you please help in doing the power analysis of combinational circuit. Can you please guide me through the steps?

0 Kudos

@raksarian Did you go through UG907 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_1/ug907-vivado-power-analysis-optimization.pdf to understand the factors and inputs needs for Power Analysis in Vivado?

If not, it may be worthwhile to spend sometime going through UG907 to get a better understanding. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor raksarian
Visitor

While doing the power analysis of combinational circuit, do we need to provide virtual clocks? Anything to be done with edit timing constraints? Also help me in doing the power analysis of a sequential circuit. Where do we specify the clock of the circuit?

0 Kudos