cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vivado 2013.2 Hardware Session: No valid target connected to server

With Vivado 2013.2 I am unable to connect to a Xilinx Platform Cable USB. On the same computer with the same hardware I am able to connect using ISE 14.4

Here are the steps and symptoms:

1. With a cold boot of the PC and all hardware

2. Launch Vivado 2013.2. Open Hardware Session. Open New Hardware Target. I get the following error:

Error message

3. Try again, but this time manually launch vcse_server.

Run settings32.bat

Run vsce_server

Try 'Open New Hardware Target' in Vivado again.

Same error message in Vivado. Here is a capture of the command window

vcse_server

4. Try with TCL commands

connect_hw_server

INFO: [Labtools 27-147] vcse_server: Connecting to TCF agent...

INFO: [Labtools 27-147] vcse_server: Attempting to launch hw_server...

WARNING: [Labtoolstcl 44-26] No hardware targets exist on the server [localhost]

Check to make sure the cable targets connected to this machine are properly connected

and powered up, then use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server commands

to re-register the hardware targets.

localhost

get_hw_servers

localhost

disconnect_hw_server

5. Same results if I try with a different vcse_server port.

6. Cable drivers appear to be current. The install_debug.log shows they were properly installed.

INFO ::Fri Nov 22 17:41:32 TZ 2013:: Execute: C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt\install_drivers_wrapper.bat C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\.xinstall\install.log C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2013.2\.

INFO ::Fri Nov 22 17:42:16 TZ 2013:: Driver installation successful. The machine has to be rebooted to properly complete the driver installation.

7. The ISE 14.4 tools work just fine on the same computer with the same hardware. 

Vivado3.png

0 Kudos
19 Replies
debrajr

There was an older issue where it appears that the problem may have been related to the fact that the PC had an additional USB to serial device (Microgate Synclink USB device) simultaneously.

After disabling the other USB device, HW manager seems to connect reliably.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only other attached USB device is the mouse. Disconnection the mouse did not make a difference.

0 Kudos
debrajr

Thanks. Are you using a 64-bit OS? If yes then do try to use settings64.bat and then type vcse_server and then try Open Hardware Target.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using Win7 32bit

0 Kudos
lfaniel

Hi,

I have the exact same problem here.

Did you find any solution? I need to debug our design...!

0 Kudos
vuppala
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Faniel,

Which OS and version of Vivado are you using?

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
lfaniel

Hi,

I'm using 2013.2 on windows 7 64 bits.

0 Kudos
vuppala
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Check with latest version of Vivado i.e., 2013.4

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
ghalady
Visitor
Visitor

Does not help. I'm using Vivado 2013.4 and using a Microzed Board, however, I still get the same "There is no valid target connected to the server ...." error. 

Any solution would be greatly appreciated.

O/S : Windows 7 32-bit home edition

Vivado: 2013.4

0 Kudos
vuppala
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Instead of putting localhost:60001, try setting <your_machine_name>:60001.

Thanks

0 Kudos
pspear@dwavesys.com
Adventurer
Adventurer

Any resolution for this problem? I'm having the same issue (vivado 2014.1, Windows 7 64 bit). ISE is also installed - Impact and Chipscope Analyser work fine.

The suggestion of using <your_machine_name>:60001 does not even seem to be possible in "Open new Hardware Target" dialog.

I've followed the reinstall instructions from http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/Vivado-2013-3-Hardware-session-don-t-detect-valid-target/m-p/438512#M5873 but still no luck.

0 Kudos
pspear@dwavesys.com
Adventurer
Adventurer

Fixed it. I had to re-install the cable driver in Vivado. I did it using the short-cut described here http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Problem-adding-cable-drivers-to-Vivado-2014-1/td-p/441188

0 Kudos
chandima7
Observer
Observer

I am using 2014.2 and have a kintex7 board connected to the local machine using a digilent usb cable. I could't get my xilinx hardware session create a connection with the board.

1. So I gave up using the Digilent cable and connected the board using a Platform USB cable.

2. Reinstalled the cable drivers (Xilinx Cable Drivers) using the 'Hardware Standalone' option in the setup.

3. Open a hardware session using the vivado. Able to successfully connect to the board.

0 Kudos
cotyb
Visitor
Visitor

uh, i made a silly fault, i connected the cable with the UART instead of JTAG, i hope you didn't...

0 Kudos
ahmet_cihan
Visitor
Visitor

I have the exactly same problem. I've tried all the suggestions above but there is no solution, no connection.. 

OS is Windows 7 64-bit , Vivado version is 2014.4 and board is Zybo.

0 Kudos
ludwig.schreier
Observer
Observer

Hi, same here for Win 10 64bit Vivado 2016.1: 

Am not able cannot connect the Platform Cable USB II using any method discussed. Jungo and Programming cables Xilinx USB Cable showing up in Device Manager, they can be easily re-installed etc. JTAG Pins have been check several times for Arty and Zybo boards. Green-light is also ON. All I get is 'localhost'. Flashing per Digilent/FTDI/JTAG no problem whatsoever, but with the actual Xilinx debugger...nope. I sometimes have faulty micro-USB cables and all sorts of things...can't get hw target...

What can I check next? Any ideas, solutions?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
__daz__
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,

I have this very same issue with Vivado 2016.4, Windows 7 64-bit using original Xilinx Platform Cable USB II. As others, driver seems installed correctly and LED turns from red to green as I attach the target.

Though, Vivado works just fine with Digilent Basys 3 board which uses FTDI onboard JTAG adapter.

None of the above solutions worked unfortunately.

0 Kudos
ludwig.schreier
Observer
Observer

Really strange that so many people have this experience. Also I actually do not see the big advantage of the debugger compared to FTDI devices. KR

0 Kudos
elyfan
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, I'm using Vivado 2016.4, Kernel is 4.4.0-64-generic, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS , and a Kintex-7 FPGA. It works fine at first, the hardware server could detect the device but later on when I try to reprogram the board with the newly generated bitstream, probably because of the PCIe slot issue, the system reboot suddenly. Before rebooting, I try the command Ctrl-c to stop programming but it doesn't. After the rebooting, though the hardware server is connected, it shows that there's no valid hardware target connected. Could someone help me with this issue?

best

0 Kudos