UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sdacombe
Visitor

Vivado Errorr message: XADC

While loosley following the MicroZED chronicles I have been trying to get the XADC up and running.

I get the following error(when running the "Generate Block Design using Vivado 2014.2) and have no idea what it means or why I would get an error

[Ipptcl 7-5] XIT evaluation error: File writer encountered an error: c:/Xilinx/Vivado/2014.2/examples/Vivado_Tutorial/Projects/microzed_project_1/microzed_project_1.srcs/sources_1/bd/microzed_project_1/ip/microzed_project_1_xadc_wiz_0_0/interrupt_control_v2_01_a/hdl/src/vhdl/microzed_project_1_xadc_wiz_0_0_interrupt_control.vhd

I then get other errors like:

"[IP_Flow 19-1747] Failed to deliver file 'c:/Xilinx/Vivado/2014.2/data/ip/xilinx/xadc_wiz_v3_0/ttcl/interrupt_control_vhd.ttcl': ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'xit::puts_ipfile' failed due to earlier errors." 

Which I guess is because of the first error.

If anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Stephen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado Errorr message: XADC

Hi,

The following thread seems to be similar. Please see if this helps.
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Entry/How-to-conect-AXI-stream-interfaces-with-different-width-in/td-p/375537
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor sdacombe
Visitor

Thanks for responding ... but I don't think the link you sent is relevant. The link has the same error message but thats all. The error gives no information what so ever. Xilinx should want to sort issues like this so that the tool doesn't give useless error messages!(In an ideal world all errors would be handled correctly with reasons for why it has failed)

All my connections appear to similar widths, it has passed the "Validate design" check. I really am stuck.

It also produces the same error when I follow the MicroZed chronicles exactly. However I get 2 critical warnings, one about asynchrnous resets could lead to problems meeting timing and also about the unconnected net. See image attachment:

p.s. The reason I started playing around(i.e. not following the chronicles exactly) was because I was getting warnings that seem correct. I then added a reset block. But it all seems unrelated.

2014-11-20 13_17_31-Adam Taylors MicroZed Chronicles_v2.pdf - Adobe Reader.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

The error happens due to large path size

Check below links and try the suggestions

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59889.html

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/ERROR-Ipptcl-7-5-XIT-evaluation-error-File-writer-encountered-an/m-p/449154#M6021

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor sdacombe
Visitor

Thanks Yenigal.

I'm using Vivado 2014.2 has this been fixed in 2014.3? 

It makes sense, as I started again and did the same design slightly differently and it all worked. I guess I used slightly shorter names.

IMO Vivado should, at the very least, check to see the file path length and notify the user that it has failed because the character length was too long. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Actually it is windows issue, not vivado and Vivado will give error on path length generally.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/52787.html

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor sdacombe
Visitor

Really sorry to labour this point. I accept it is a Windows issue/limitation that is the root cause. But in my case I never got error messages about the file path length. It just stopped writing the file. 

Therefore I had to spend time coming onto this forum to ask, you very helpful people, if you could shed any light on the issue.

Surely it would be better for Xilinx's reputation that it handles errors(knowing that it is a limitaion of Windows) like this better.

Time is money for most people, so the more user friendly a product is the better.

0 Kudos