UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado ILA problems

Xilinx,

I am having troubles getting the ILA to work in my project.

I went to training and took the Xilinx course  Zynq All Programmable Soc System Architecture.  Lab 4  was a lab on Debugging on the Zynq all programmable SoC.   I redid the lab and I can get the project to work with the ILA.  I go ahead and do the same steps but add ILA to just my project.   When I get to the Hardware Manager and Click on Run Trigger Immediate the waveform file does not pop up.  The button to open the waveform is also greyed out.  I am not sure what I am doing that is wrong.

ILA.png

This is the Block design.

ila2.png

Any help would be appreciated.

If I can't get it to work by the end of the day I am basically never going to use the ILA.  I will just use my external Logic analzyer since it is more powerful and not buggy but it be nice to be able use this sometimes.

Thanks

C

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado ILA problems

Hi

Add the probes from the debug probes window to the ILA window and check.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

That window is the trigger window.  You shouldn't need any triggers if you click the Trigger immediate.  

Still "greyed out" ila3.png

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Can you try reducing the jtag cable frequency and see if it helps?

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I reduced Jtag to 1 MHz from 15 MHz and it appears to be working.  I still have to test when my software resource is in the office.

But is there a reason why the 15 MHz jtag frequency doesn't work with my design and works with the Tutorial design with the same hardware?   

The default was set at 15 MHz and I just left it as is.  

Why does this happen?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The JTAG cable frequency has to be lesser than ILA clock frequency.

Check this thread  http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Set-trigger-and-get-waveform-by-Vivado/td-p/433848

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Well in the thread it says that the Jtag Frequency must be lower than the ILA frequency.  In which my original design I had the JTAG at 15 MHz and then when i switched to 1 MHz it worked.

My question is "Why does the JTAG frequency have to be lower than the ILA frequency"??

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to use ILA for in-system debugging. I have followed "Netlist insertion" workflow. I am able to see the waveforms after pressing "Immediate trigger". But, it is not showing any transitions, it is showing constant values only. 

I would also like to know why JTAG TCK frequency should be less than ILA clock frequency.

Thanks in advance.

Jeet

0 Kudos