UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado linux vs windows benchmark

Jump to solution

@markcurry: parallel synthesis does not kick in when the design is too small (no compile time gain) or when complex timing constraints are applied to the design. This last condition should be addressed in the coming Vivado release (2019.2).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Jump to solution

@frederi 

Thanks for the info.  We're the latter case (complex timing constraints) I assume. We'll be waiting to see what Vivado 2019.2 offers us in this regard.

--Mark

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @sturmel2007 : it looks like you have misinterpreted the content of https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/memory.html. This page shows that system memory guidelines are the same for Windows and Linux. For each device, there is a typical memory utilization (average design with average timing constraints complexity), and a peak memory utilization (maximum observed by Xilinx on a large set of designs, due to high utilization, congestion, complex timing constraints, etc...).

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@sturmel2007: thanks for your faith :)! Unfortunately, this is not something Xilinx spends time on. I'll restate the reasoning behind it:

1) There are too many different systems to benchmark. Xilinx focuses on release to release compile time comparison for a same system & OS, and whenever needed, competitive analysis as well.

2) Windows vs Linux performance differences are not unique to Vivado or any Xilinx tools. General information on this topic should be available on the web. Linux is generally more efficient as it is a leaner OS with fewer extra services/processes burning compute resources (firewall, disk encryption, web browsers, etc...).

I hope this closes this thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and findings!

0 Kudos
Visitor sturmel2007
Visitor

Jump to solution

@frederi 

Your right.

Thanks to all.

I learned a lot to make this investigation :-)

Best regards!