UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivado rocks

I just have to take a few minutes to tell you all at Xilinx that Vivado rocks!  I've been using it for a week since I got my KC705 development board, and it has really impressed me.  I've been using PlanAhead in ISE for a while because I think it is a much nicer environment than Project Navigator, so I pretty much knew what Vivado was going to be like.  But Vivado is so much better!

The first time I went to program the Kintex-7 on the KC705, I opened a "Hardware Session."  I expected the worst because  my experience is that programming a new chip never works on the first try.  It asked me to connect to a Vivado CSE Server.  Huh, what's that?  But it offered localhost:something as the default, so I went with it.  And it just worked!  It didn't complain that the CSE Server wasn't running or anything.  It didn't say that it couldn't find the Digilent plug-in or that I'd specified the wrong cable driver.  It just did the right thing, found the Kintex-7, and opened the Hardware Session pane.  And there was a link right at the top to program it!  It already knew the correct bit file to use and just did it.  Perfect!

And now ISim is built right in, so I don't have to leave one tool and open another, and I can use all the awesome window-management features that Vivado has.  I can just double-click the waveform tab to expand it to full screen, then double-click again to shrink it and see the other panels, *or* I can just leave it maximized and expand the other panels when I need them, *or* I can tear the waveform window off and put it on a second monitor.  It's really easy to set up the UI exactly the way I want it.

I'll have to take you word for it that the synthesis and implementation is faster.  I haven't used it on a big design yet.  But I can tell that the whole process seems more tightly integrated vs. PlanAhead, where I was always aware that it was running a collection of different tools, each with its own command-line parameters and quirks.

The only thing missing:  Spartan-6 support!  How about it?  Then I could say goodbye to the old tools forever.

W

1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado rocks

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your perception about Vivado tools. Xilinx really appreciate your feedback.

Additionally, your concern on spartan-6 support is true but I believe you may be aware that Vivado is supposed to work for 7 series or later xilinx devices.

Please feel free to share your experiences.

Thanks,

Vishal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos